Crossbow Rear Sights (Open Div)

  • Ingvarr Halvarson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2005
      I want to make a new rear sight for my powermaster crossbow.
      What does a "basic rear sight" consist of, or what is allowed and
      what is not allowed.

      YIS
      Ingvarr
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 11:00 AM
        Typically it means a 'stick of something' with marks on it. Similar
        to someone using sighting marks on their recurve limbs.

        It usually takes the form of an L shaped piece of metal screwed down
        on your crossbow, with the long part of the l sticking upwards, flat
        towards you.

        Then this is drilled with holes for the different heights, and you
        'peek through' those holes, and line up the point of your bolt and the
        target.

        Sometimes the strip is made with a long open 'hole', and tape or
        string is used to mark the holes so that they can be moved easier.
        (In period one version used a string with the bead on it that you
        could peek through, and the string/bead could be moved up or down)

        You can see examples of the 'long hole' version here:
        http://crossbow.freeshell.org//gallery/graphics/flemsight-large.jpg
        http://crossbow.freeshell.org//gallery/graphics/flemsight-rear-large.jpg