Re: [SCA-Archery] Padding, Arm Guards, Gloves..etc.

  • Carolus von Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2005
      I routinely check my shafts and take preventive measures to avoid this
      risk. I also grain align my shafts so a break will throw the rear of the
      shaft up if it occurs. If a shaft breaks the odds are that it will
      penetrate the base of the thumb and the hand, not the arm. After over 40
      years of shooting, I don't worry about this risk anymore. There is a point
      where we can worry too much about "what if's" and be over protective. I
      certainly see your point but feel the disadvantages to me outweigh the
      benefits. When teaching archers I certainly point out the advantages of a
      bracer and do not advise against wearing one, then let them make the choice
      for themselves. In this case, it was asked what we wore not what the
      archer should wear. Thank you for your observation, it can help a new archer.
      Carolus