Re: [SCA-Archery] Arc d

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 27, 2005
      On Sunday, March 27, 2005, at 11:41 AM, Bruce R. Gordon wrote:

      > Greetings
      > Alright, my mistake. But inasmuch as it is being commonly
      > referred to as the "White Bracer treaty", and, if I am correct,
      > members are displaying their membership by means of a white bracer,
      > then there will be a natural tendency on the part of sundry folk to
      > regard the white bracer as belonging to the order.

      Only if the bracer has a bow - Or as a primary or overall charge.
      Otherwise it is just a white bracer.

      > Perhaps someone from An Tir could clarify the status of white bracers
      > as to regalia - are they protected under sumptuary patent or not?

      Misc deleted.

      Jon
    • Eadric Anstapa
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 27, 2005
        Folks, those aren't "terms". Those are my personal feelings. Notice I
        said "I think". When I was working with my counterparts in Trimaris it
        was recognized that both our existing orders recognized both target and
        combat archers. That synergy was important important to us.

        As I said in an earlier post I find the separation of Target and Combat
        archery communities strange and in my kingdom I think it would be
        unhealthy for the archery community to separate them. It would be like
        separating the white scarf into two separate orders with one for those
        people who excelled in tournament combat and another for those who
        excelled at melee. Still I do recognize that they are separated in
        other kingdoms and for them that separation is perceived to work well
        and to be normal.

        If the Crowns of other Kingdoms ever contacts Trimaris and Ansteorra
        seeking to be a part of this it would all be worked out at that time.
        (or not).

        Regards,

        -EA

        // <mailto:eadric@...>

      • Eadric Anstapa
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 27, 2005
          Bruce R. Gordon wrote:

          >Greetings
          > Alright, my mistake. But inasmuch as it is being commonly referred to as the "White Bracer treaty",

          Really? Who? I dont think any of the people actually affected on
          involved in the treaty have called it that. It is the Arc d'Or treaty.
          We certainly recognize that the OGGS wears white bracers and are not
          members of the Arc d'Or. Trimaris has yet to adopt the white bracer.
          The treaty indicates that the commonality of badges from Kingdom to
          Kingdom for this order shall have "a bow Or", Not a white bracer.

          >and, if I am correct, members are displaying their membership by means of a white bracer, then there will be a natural tendency on the part of sundry folk to regard the white bracer as belonging to the order. Perhaps someone from An Tir could clarify the status of white bracers as to regalia - are they protected under sumptuary patent or not?

          Yes we in Ansteorra display our membership by means of a white bracer.
          In Ansteorra if you wear a white bracer it will be assumed that you are
          a member of such an order. When I go to the Midrealm I dont expect that
          people will assume that I am a member of anything just because I wear a
          white bracer and I certainly dont assume that they will think that I am
          a member of the Greenwood Company.

          Likewise if you come here I dont expect that people will see you green
          hood and assume anything other than that you have a real spiffy hood. I
          almost always wear a hood, an more often than not I wear green. By
          virtue of that I am almost always wearing a green hood. When I was at
          Pennsic I wanted to honor the traditions of your realm and respect your
          order and therefore I made sure that I did not wear a green hood while I
          was at Pennsic lest I be mistaken for a member of you order. (even
          though my hoods dont. have any red/white adornment)

          > As for standards, your comment below illuminates some of the inherent shoal waters of interkingdom policies - by your statement you automatically exclude the Middle Kingdom even before the Midrealm Curia has an opportunity to pronounce upon it, inasmuch as here, combat archers are heavies only, and regarded purely as a weapons specialization of rattan fighters. Any awards they might receive or Orders they might join would be the rattan ones, not the Dragon's Barb (AoA for target archery/thrown weapons only or the Greenwood Company (GoA for target archery/thrown weapons only). I wonder what the arrangements vis-a-vis Target vs Combat archery are in other kingdoms?
          >
          >Nigel

          I dont think we ever dreamed that every kingdom would ever adopt this
          order. It is not right for everyone or everywhere. You already
          indicated that even without the Greenwood Company the Midrealm would
          likely never join us for the same reasons that they have never joined
          the White Scarf treaty. Still my Order here does recognize the
          Greenwood Company as a great and noble order and as brothers and sister
          archers who share many of the same goals and ideals that we do.
          However, if members of the Greenwood Company move to Ansteorra they wont
          automatically be counted as members of our order the way and Archos from
          Trimaris would be.

          Regards,

          --
          HL Eadric Anstapa
          DSEM CA

        • John edgerton
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 27, 2005
            On Sunday, March 27, 2005, at 11:55 AM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:
            > Jon I think you are thinking way too much about this. So far there are
            > precisely two kingdoms that are signatory to this treaty and I think we
            > have a pretty clear understanding of what the treaty is for. If other
            > kingdoms ever express the desire to join the treaty then guidance can
            > be
            > given at that time. The Arc d'Or treaty is already WAY more detailed
            > than the White Scarf treaty. The White scarf treaty simply says:

            I was thinking the better the understanding of the treaty, the more apt
            additional kingdoms would be to consider joining. The fewer negative
            misconceptions that remain the better. When the archers of various
            kingdoms finally start discussing the Arc d'Or, they should have as
            much correct information as possible at the begging of such discussion.
            So I would hope the current members of the Arc d'Or will provide as
            much correct information as possible. And my thanks to you for already
            doing so.

            Jon
          • Eadric Anstapa
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 27, 2005
              John edgerton wrote:

              >I was thinking the better the understanding of the treaty, the more apt
              >additional kingdoms would be to consider joining. The fewer negative
              >misconceptions that remain the better.

              Well, I hope there are zero negative misconceptions.

              The high archery of orders of Trimaris and Ansteorra have formally drawn
              themselves closer together by adopting a common name for our orders, by
              recognizing each other as full equals, by pledging to grant within our
              kingdoms equal precedence to that of our own orders and indeed
              functional membership in our own orders. We hope that one day other
              kingdoms might see fit to join us in that common bond if they deem it
              fitting. What can be negative about that?

              Please dont ready anything else into it. The Arc d'Or has no plans to
              take over the world or to supplant any other archery orders and we honor
              and respect the traditions of the orders of all of the other sovereign
              kingdoms.

              Regards,

              --
              HL Eadric Anstapa
              DSEM CA

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 27, 2005
                Greetings,
                I think that this exchange is one of the reasons that I find this
                list so vatuable. What I have learned is that should I come across an
                archer from Trimaris or Ansteora who is wearing a white bracer, then I
                can recognize that archer as having achieved companionship in an order
                comparable to the East's Order of the Sagittarius or of the Middle's
                Forester in the Greenwood Company. I will clearly make a mental note of
                that and treat such gentles with appropriate respect. I think that once
                we know what each Kingdom has for its archers then we can easily
                understand the importance that it holds for the companions of each
                order.
                If the "treaty" has no specific guidelines for devices to
                display and each Kingdom is free to design their own, I fail to see how
                this will create a better understanding and recognition for archers
                society-wide. We already have equal archery orders in most Kingdoms
                that have their own recognizable badges and "vestments".
                I appreciate the pride expressed by the companions of the Arc d'Or
                and their desire to share with other Kingdoms. I just feel it is
                unneccessary for those of us that are already companions of a comparable
                order to change the name of our order(which we are also equally proud
                of) to create what I feel would be an ineffective attempt at uniformity.
                I would much rather respectfully wish you well and tell you that I look
                forward to meeting you on the range where we can share archery tales and
                chat about our archery tackle. You can show me your spiffy white bracer
                and I can show you my nifty centaur medallion and we can both look for a
                gentle wearing a green hood and have somebody take a picture....or
                something like that.....it's all good.
                -Geoffrei
              • John edgerton
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 27, 2005
                  On Sunday, March 27, 2005, at 08:04 PM, jrosswebb1@... wrote:

                  misc deleted

                  > If the "treaty" has no specific guidelines for devices to
                  > display and each Kingdom is free to design their own, I fail to see how
                  > this will create a better understanding and recognition for archers
                  > society-wide. We already have equal archery orders in most Kingdoms
                  > that have their own recognizable badges and "vestments".

                  misc deleted

                  Article the Fourth ~
                  We each mutually recognize that the badge registration by each
                  signatory kingdom for this order will include the charge of "a bow
                  Or" as either a primary charge or as an overall charge, all other
                  badge components to be determined by each signatory kingdom.  We
                  each further mutually declare that members of this order are at any
                  time entitled to wear either the badge of this order of the kingdom
                  in which they were made members or the badge of the order of the
                  kingdom in which they currently reside.

                • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 27, 2005
                    Greetings,
                    East Kingdom's Order of the Sagittarrius has an emblem of a
                    centaur drawing a bow (all in gold) on a field of blue.
                    ....So, I guess "we've already got one".
                    but thank you.

                    .......haven't got the grail yet, but we're working on it. ;-)

                    -Geoffrei
                  • Bruce R. Gordon
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 21, 2005
                      Greetings
                      This is something which is not likely to be enacted in the Midrealm anytime soon. We have had a GoA-level Order, the Greenwood Company, in place for a number of years now and, although I don't speak for the Company as such, I would nevertheless be surprised if many members would be willing to exchange their green hoods for AoA bracers. Aside from which, the Midrealm does not sign onto to treatiers of this sort anyway, on constitutional grounds.

                      I would like to see some sort of Knowne Worlde-wide recognition for target archers established, but so far, I've not sdeen any suggestions likely to win universal, or even substantial, aproval as of yet.

                      Baron Nigel FitzMaurice, Midrealm AG
                      "Do these colors match?"
                      "Is this too much jewelry?"
                      "Is that my drink?"

                    • Eadric Anstapa
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 21, 2005
                        "Bruce R. Gordon" <obsidian@...> said:

                        > I would nevertheless be surprised if many members would be willing
                        > to exchange their green hoods for AoA bracers. Aside from which, the
                        > Midrealm does not sign onto to treatiers of this sort anyway, on
                        > constitutional grounds.

                        FYI, the Arc d'Or carries with it a GoA not an AoA.

                        Regards,

                        --
                        HL Eadric Anstapa CAOA
                        DSEM CA