String Jigs was:Traditional Bow Making

  • Carl West
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 27 8:33 AM
      Johann Friedrich wrote:

      > I will second the comment on the string. I made a flemish twist string
      > jig with a scrap piece of MDF and some finish nails I had sitting around.
      > After making a couple strings, I can't imagine ever purchasing one again.

      All you _really_ need to make a string is fingers, a ball or spool of
      the string material, and a way to cut it. A gob of beeswax or string-wax
      helps immeasurably. You can make a string without the wax, but it'll be
      a pain in the butt to do and not last as long. OK, consider the wax
      necessary. Unless the string material comes waxed.

      I've been making my own 'flemish' strings for years using linen, hemp or
      dacron and have never bothered with a jig.

      I watched Edward the Grey make a string once. He didn't use a jig.
      It took him almost 5 minutes to make a perfectly useful two-color string
      that worked just fine. It was heftier than I'd have made, but it was on
      the bow 30 minutes before mine would have been.

      -- Fritz

      Carl West
      mailto:carl.west@...
      http://carl.west.home.comcast.net