Making Arrows For Other Then English Archers

  • Scott B. Jaqua
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 21, 2005
      A while back there was a conversation about making distinctive looking
      arrows for other then English Longbow type archers. To which I replied
      with info on viking artifacts. And it turns out one statement I made was
      wrong.

      I had said that I had no documentation for socketed type arrow head
      construction. That every viking age arrowhead in my library was of
      tanged construction.

      Well, while cleaning out our workroom/den area, I came across my copy of
      Vikings, The North Atlantic Saga. The companion book to the
      Smithsonian's traveling exhibit of the same name. Of the three groups of
      artifacts shown (maybe 18 total arrow heads) there is one example of
      socketed type construction. So while perhaps not the norm, the vikings
      did use some socketed arrowheads.

      What is consistent in the examples I have is the shape of the head. In
      almost every example you are looking at a long leaf shaped blade. Almost
      like that of a spear in miniature. The only exception is a long "Y"
      shaped blade. But up to the "Y" shaped tip, the profile of the base of
      the blade is the same as the lower portion of the leaf shaped blades.

      I plan on collecting these images to use to document a series of forged
      arrow heads I have planned. I believe these will make nice forge
      demo/class projects at some point.

      In the days ahead, I will attempt to post links to properly attributed
      images.

      Njall