Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Equipment Failures

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 2 7:51 AM
      This makes a lot of sense. In California they know how to make movies but
      they always have a weapons master. What is needed, is to tune the
      inspection and instruction to the individuals needs. A bow hunter needs to
      learn the rules of the line and how to score a Fita target not how get the
      arrow on target. A FITA shooter needs very little and a new bee needs the
      whole nine yards. I have been luck in having been to a lot of out of kingdom
      events and being a crossbow builder but not all marshals have or will get
      that experience. I like the idea of a manual to help get the SCA all one
      page with inspections/authorizations or education for our marshals. What we
      are going through here on the list helps but it does not get the word out to
      everyone.

      James Cunningham
      Who is designing a leather wobble prod mount

      > In principal, I agree with your points. In practice, however, I see a
      > little more needed. I can't speak for other parts of the country but in
      > Southern California there is a strong bias against any type of weapon, be
      > it a gun, crossbow, or handbow. There is major social pressure against
      > them to the point of many people knowing so little about the hardware that
      > they are a danger to themselves and others just handling it. We do not
      > have the hunting community to give some level of training to folks while
      > they are growing up. Frankly, our population is not nearly as
      > knowledgeable or has made the same emotional and financial investments in
      > their tackle as the FITA/NAA group and thus need more hand holding. When
      > they decide to try archery in the SCA we have to provide that
      > training. And that includes teaching them how to inspect their
      > equipment. I find they learn best when the marshals take an active role
      in
      > the process. Additionally, most of our marshals come from that same
      > population and need to be trained themselves. This is the audience such a
      > set of guidelines is best suited for.
      > Carolus

      sniped for space
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 4 7:35 PM
        Your guess is right for a modern fiberglass bow but wrong for a wood
        bow. The fracture follows the grain, which is seldom as straight as we
        like thus causing the sharp pieces to fly sideways. I've watched both
        break and far prefer the modern failure.
        Carolus