Re: Equipment Failures

  • hanhebin
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 2, 2005
      > Yes, we are different than FITA but I think that is becoming a red
      > herring. I am more concerned about whether we are putting too
      > much emphasis on equipment safety.

      As somebody that enjoys doing both, I don't. There is a big
      difference between how recreational and serious shooters maintain
      their equipment and an extra pair of eyes is always a good thing.
      Equipment failures happen but I would rather see that caught before
      shooting begins rather than have it happen on the shooting line.

      Equipment inspections also check for more than just safety but also
      that equipment is in fact legal. I have seen too many plastic
      vanes, sights, missing tips and even dual nocking points at SCA
      shoots. At the same time you are checking if the equipment is OK to
      shoot in the SCA, you can check for safety as it might only take
      only extra minute or two.

      Michael
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 4, 2005
        Your guess is right for a modern fiberglass bow but wrong for a wood
        bow. The fracture follows the grain, which is seldom as straight as we
        like thus causing the sharp pieces to fly sideways. I've watched both
        break and far prefer the modern failure.
        Carolus