Re: Equipment Failures

  • hanhebin
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 2, 2005
      > You DON'T need an expensive "Olympic style" recurve with those
      > equally expensive carbon "knitting needle" arrows to participate.

      So true. Many of the FITA events have traditional divisions and I
      have shot both longbow and crossbows in those events. SO KEWL!
      People take a second look when they see you taking a break from
      modern equipment and see you shooting something more traditional.

      I have also heard many people complain in the SCA about not having
      ranges to shoot longer shoots like the York Round. While FITA
      distances are slightly different but not so much to make a real
      difference. While it's not an SCA shoot, it still gives you a
      chance to shoot for the longer distances.

      Michael
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 4, 2005
        Your guess is right for a modern fiberglass bow but wrong for a wood
        bow. The fracture follows the grain, which is seldom as straight as we
        like thus causing the sharp pieces to fly sideways. I've watched both
        break and far prefer the modern failure.
        Carolus