Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Authorizations

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Message 1 of 48 , Mar 2, 2005
      Greetings
      As you say, the social climate must be different in California - here, a general familiarity and comfort with weapons of all sorts is much more widespread. Authorizations may work for you, but I cannot regard them here with anything but the deepest misgivings. Archery and thrown weapons are the only sports activities left that are freely available to everyone. I never want to see the day when I have to say "No, I'm sorry, you can't be here, you have no card." I never want to see a time when we have to spend half the day at an event having a panel of authorizing marshals take aspirants through their paces, saying: "Ok, I guess you'll do, we will instruct the Minister of the Lists to issue you a card; that should be in the mail in a coupla weeks, see you then." And I definitely don't want to see us obligated to shut down the Youth Archery programs because, unlike rattan fighting, there is no boffer-equivalent possible for archery or TW.
      All of the foregoing issues would be irrelevant, of course, if there were evidence of a problem. But there isn't. We've been shooting for more than 35 years now, and there has never been a serious injury, ever. The worst accident I can recall offhand happened quite a few years ago when a guy overdrew his bow and managed to shoot himself in the forearm... with his cloak-pin. And he was a warranted marshal, with training, who presumably should have known better. So I don't see forcing people into an authorization procedure as helping safety at all. And if a thing isn't broken, there is no need to fix it.
      Now, having said all that, I don't want to leave the impression that I oppose education. I would be delighted to see a series of classes and clinics to teach basic range safety and shooting techniques, as voluntary things. I wouldn't even object to handing out some kind of documentation to show one had taken such a class, as a voluntary thing. My inspection class eagerly solicits attendence by folks who aren't MiTs, and have no particular interest in the marshallate. I will make this offer: if enough folks on this list who are going to Pennsic express an interest, I will expand my classes and clinics there to provide just that sort of basic introduction to archery, both in terms of shooting technique and in terms of range etiquette and safety. But don't make me turn folks away.

      Nigel

      > Actually, Caid has mandatory authorizations to compete (not for practice)
      > or to post a score for ranking. I have yet to find anyone who objects. In
      > fact, I often have people from other kingdoms who are welcome to shoot as
      > guests under the standards of their home kingdom who insist on getting
      > Caidan authorizations. Many consider it a mark of honor to get a Caidan
      > fighter card (though with only a target archery endorsement). .So, is this
      > a burden? It doesn't seem so.
      > Carolus
      >

      > At 09:28 AM 3/1/2005, you wrote:
      > >snip
      > >Would a mandatory introduction to archery - Authorizations - including a
      > >familiarization with own equipment - including shoot a few arrows for me
      > >- be out of line? Sure, nobody really wants them, it would make even more
      > snip
      >

      > --

      > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's <a href="http://www.medievalmart.com/" target="_blank">http://www.medievalmart.com/</a>

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      "Do these colors match?"
      "Is this too much jewelry?"
      "Is that my drink?"

    • obsidian@raex.com
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 12, 2010
        Greetings

        Some are, some aren't. I am - I wrote most of the inspection standards for the Midrealm (much of which still appears in Northshield, Meridies, and Gleann Abhainn manuals), a long while ago, and I regularly taught classes to MiTs at Pennsic in how to inspect. I'm unusual in that regard, but I will point out that becoming a marshal in the Middle kingdom involves learning inspection, and folks are very strongly encouraged to learn as much about as many types of tackle as possible - and that icludes the details, such as comparison of arrow length to draw length, assessing apine weight as best as may be without actually bending the arrow, and so on. Any competent marshal program, in any kingdom, will include details on these matters, and it is the responsibility, not only of the marshal-in-charge, the inspection marshal, and the line marshals, to see to it that all the details are minded, but also of the archers themselves to see to it that everyone on the range is on the same page regarding safety.

        Nigel

        From: Terrance Timmons <TerryT@...>