Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Equipment Failures

  • Carolus von Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 2, 2005
      In principal, I agree with your points. In practice, however, I see a
      little more needed. I can't speak for other parts of the country but in
      Southern California there is a strong bias against any type of weapon, be
      it a gun, crossbow, or handbow. There is major social pressure against
      them to the point of many people knowing so little about the hardware that
      they are a danger to themselves and others just handling it. We do not
      have the hunting community to give some level of training to folks while
      they are growing up. Frankly, our population is not nearly as
      knowledgeable or has made the same emotional and financial investments in
      their tackle as the FITA/NAA group and thus need more hand holding. When
      they decide to try archery in the SCA we have to provide that
      training. And that includes teaching them how to inspect their
      equipment. I find they learn best when the marshals take an active role in
      the process. Additionally, most of our marshals come from that same
      population and need to be trained themselves. This is the audience such a
      set of guidelines is best suited for.
      Carolus

    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 4, 2005
        Your guess is right for a modern fiberglass bow but wrong for a wood
        bow. The fracture follows the grain, which is seldom as straight as we
        like thus causing the sharp pieces to fly sideways. I've watched both
        break and far prefer the modern failure.
        Carolus