Re: Equipment Failures

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 1, 2005
      Yes, we are different than FITA but I think that is becoming a red
      herring. I am more concerned about whether we are putting too
      much emphasis on equipment safety.

      You can that bow that the brand new archer just bought on
      Merchants Row and go over it with 10 power loupe looking for
      cracks. You can run the bow through an x-ray machine to try to
      find hidden flaws in the wood. You can check the humidity of
      wood. You can count the plies in the string and do a break test to
      determine if the string is safe. You can take all the time needed
      but none of those tests are going to tell you whether that new
      archer is dumb enough to nock an arrow behind the shooting
      line and try to shoot over the heads of the archers on the line.

      But let's drop the hyperbole and state my concerns/issues.

      1. I have not seen any reason why a system wide standard is
      even needed. I have seen nothing that seems to indicate that
      there has been any accidents caused by lack of standardization.

      2. I am concerned that individual archers may become
      dependent on marshalls providing safety. Safety begins at the
      archer.

      3. If you look for the devil, you will find him. There are some very
      simple things to look for inspecting archery equipment. It can
      probably be summed up in one or two paragrahs. Do a search
      for archery safety and see what is covered during equipment
      inspections. Delaminations, cracks in the riser or limbs, the bow
      nocks, frayed strings, and cracks/splinters in the arrows will
      pretty much cover most of it. My fear is that we will get a list of
      every paranoid possibility regardless of how unlikely it is to
      happen or whether it is even a valid safety concern.

      4. Even though this is only supposed to be a guideline and each
      Kingdom will still be able to follow its own guidelines and I
      reside in a Kingdom with sane, common sense guidelines, I
      fear it will become the defacto standard.

      Here are some of things I would like to see as the discussion
      goes forward.

      1. That the information be directed towards the archer not the
      marshall. Such information will help newbie archers buy and
      maintain their equipment. And, of course, any thing directed at
      the archer would also cover that more important aspect of safety
      - i.e. the rules of the range.

      2. We try to look at the facts without the "but what ifs". Is it really a
      safety situation? I have enjoyed Gladius's critique of the
      crossbow criteria. Hopefully, we can get rid of those criteria that
      are not based on real safety issues.

      3. Keep it simple.

      Safety is important. I think it is important that all new archers are
      coached in the rules of the range and on how to inspect their
      own equipment. Archery has an inherent danger but it is the
      awareness of that danger that helps keeps this sport one of the
      safest sports. We don't have to make this complicated.

      James Wolfden

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Nest verch Tangwistel
      <eastarch@y...> wrote:

      > We often see archers which are brand new or only shoot once
      a year. The
      > people with good intentions, but limited knowledge are the
      targets of our
      > inspections. I don't think the two systems are comparable.
      They are made
      > to deal with very different situations.
      >
      > Nest
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 4, 2005
        Your guess is right for a modern fiberglass bow but wrong for a wood
        bow. The fracture follows the grain, which is seldom as straight as we
        like thus causing the sharp pieces to fly sideways. I've watched both
        break and far prefer the modern failure.
        Carolus