Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow Inspection Criteria

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 1, 2005
      Carolus,

      >I had no idea there were so many issues with crossbow inspections outside
      >Caid. We have no such problems here. The most important thing I stressed
      >was that the rules were
      >guidelines and that common sense should prevail. We never wrote hard and
      >fast specs for inspection standards as we realized it was an art and needed
      >to be subjective according to the marshal's opinion. We knew it would be
      >way too easy for unsafe equipment to meet specific criteria, be rejected on
      >the range, appealed to the Earl Marshal or the King, and have a person with
      >little or no archery knowledge but a superior officer position, overrule
      >the range marshal based on the written rules. Our Kingdom masters have all
      >followed this tradition since. As a result, we judge equipment based on
      >safety first, and historical precedence second, with no artificial
      >silliness such as prod tightness or other criteria. If someone were to
      >come to the range with a stonebow I would have to judge it based on
      >historical precedence, not the lack of a track as such a bow does not shoot
      >a bolt and a track is irrelevant. Of course the nature of the buttress
      >would have to be considered as the rule about the projectile causing undue
      >damage to the target may come into play.
      >Carolus

      What you have written seems to make entirely too much sense. This caused
      me to go back and re-read the actual Society rules regarding
      crossbows. Upon seeing them I was shocked to realize that nowhere is
      string float or prod tightness even mentioned! Since these are things the
      marshals around here test, I assumed they had been written into the actual
      rules. I have pasted 6 of the 7 below. I left off the 7th since it dealt
      only with modern skeletal stocks.

      908020.jpg

      So here is my question. What gives the inspecting marshal the right to
      reject my crossbow if the prod is not bound on tightly if my crossbow does
      not violate any of these published rules? If I bring a crossbow to the
      range and it meets all of the above rules it should pass! It seems to me
      that the marshals around here are working with an entirely different set of
      rules. Does each kingdom have its own rules? Where might I find the
      actual Midrealm and East Kingdom specifications?

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 11, 2005
        Snapped into two pieces.