Re: [SCA-Archery] Public Archery Ranges

  • John Rossignol
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
      Here in the greater San Jose area of California, we have three public
      archery ranges which are on county park lands. As I understand it, they
      are administered by the Santa Clara County Park system, but are actually
      built and maintained by private archery clubs. The ranges are open free
      to the public, except on days when the club has a scheduled shoot or is
      performing maintenance.

      Santa Teresa County Park is within the city of San Jose.
      Stevens Creek County Park is within the city of Cupertino.
      Mount Madonna County Park is on unincorporated land.

      Here is the Santa Clara County Parks home page:
      http://www.clerkrecorder.org/site/0,4760,sid%253D12761,00.html

      Here is the Santa Clara County Parks page listing parks with archery
      ranges, which has contacts for their respective archery clubs:
      http://www.clerkrecorder.org/channel/0%2C4770%2Cchid%253D16288%2C00.html

      Here is an additional contact for the Black Mountain Bowmen, who
      maintain the range at Santa Teresa County Park:
      http://quicksitemaker.com/members/archery/

      In addition, the county to the north of us, San Mateo County, has at
      least one archery range which operates under the same sort of
      arrangement. It is in Huddart Park, which is part of the San Mateo
      County Parks system. I believe the park is partially within the
      boundaries of the city of Woodside, CA, and partially on unincorporated
      county land.
      http://www.kingsmountainarchers.org/
      http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/smc/department/home/0,,5556687_12313305_12328471,00.html
      (Just ignore the anachronism in the first paragraph of the park history
      -- I have already explained it to them, and, who knows, maybe some day
      they will even get around to correcting it. ;-) )

      The local SCA barony in San Mateo County has regular time slots
      reserved for archery practice at the Huddart park range. I believe they
      reserve them through the archery club rather than County Parks, but I am
      not sure. http://www.thewestermark.org/archery.html

      Good luck with your proposal.

      John

      Katherine Killigrew wrote:

      >Greetings,
      >
      >The Barony of Adiantum in the Kingdom of An Tir (mundanely, Eugene Oregon) is petitioning the Parks and Recreation Department to establish a public archery range in one of the many open space park areas.
      >
      >I am working to gather contact information for other municipal or county parks/recreation departments that operate public archery ranges to include as examples in our proposal.
      >
      >If you know of such a range and can provide me with the park name, location (city, state), what Government entity runs the range and if available: a contact name and or phone number, I would be eternally grateful. Please email me directly with any information you have.
      >
      >In Service,
      >
      >Katherine Killigrew
      >katherine_killigrew@...<mailto:katherine_killigrew@...>
      >Baronial Archer
      >Barony of Adiantum

    • Katherine Killigrew
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
        To all who have thus far responded to my request: Thank you so much!

        Keep 'em coming! <wink>

        Katherine Killigrew
        The Barony of Adiantum in the Kingdom of An Tir (mundanely, Eugene Oregon) is petitioning the Parks and Recreation Department to establish a public archery range in one of the many open space park areas.

        I am working to gather contact information for other municipal or county parks/recreation departments that operate public archery ranges to include as examples in our proposal.

        If you know of such a range and can provide me with the park name, location (city, state), what Government entity runs the range and if available: a contact name and or phone number, I would be eternally grateful. Please email me directly with any information you have.

        In Service,

        Katherine Killigrew
        katherine_killigrew@...<mailto:katherine_killigrew@...<mailto:katherine_killigrew@...<mailto:katherine_killigrew@...>>
        Baronial Archer