Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Equipment Failures

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 1, 2005
      Greetings,
      Michael, that is most unusual. What you are saying is the
      exception rather than the rule around here (The East Coast).
      BTW on the subject of FITA and NAA tournaments: I suggest that any
      who wish to participate do so. You DON'T need an expensive "Olympic
      style" recurve with those equally expensive carbon "knitting needle"
      arrows to participate. The tackle that we shoot in the SCA will
      qualify.You won't stand as good a chance against these other bows, but
      you may surprise yourself (and them) at how well you will do. (Unless
      they've changed the rules within the last few years) I have shot in NAA
      shoots with my simple longbow with wooden arrows. It's a very different
      game than what we play. I've been to quite a number of these shoots and
      I can't recall having ever seen a newbie on the line. Most have had
      extensive experience with some form of archery before they make the
      astronomically expensive purchase of the average "Olympic style" tackle.
      I did see quite a number of familiar faces from NFAA, IBO, Zwickee Stump
      shoots and the archery clubs,there to try it out, but no out-and-out
      newbies. The marshalling on the line and scoring are MUCH stricter and
      regimented than an SCA line. I HAVE seen an NAA line officer remove an
      archer from the line that had what was deemed unsafe equipment (bad
      string). BTW They don't like back-quivers, it's not against their rules,
      but they always mention them as a potential safety hazard and a
      distraction.
      NAA is different, those that haven't already, should try it.
      -Geoffrei

      Nest wrote:
      One thing we need to remember is that FITA almost never sees new
      archers. Their inspections are not meant to determine the safety of the
      equipment. By the time a National Archery Association archer gets to a
      tournament, they have been shooting for months if not years. They have
      been to the local shop many times, and probably shoot a couple times a
      week to practice. Any safety issues will have been taken care of long
      ago.

      Michael wrote:
      Not true! :-)
      We ALWAYS have archers entering their first FITA or Vegas styled
      tournament who have only had their Olympic recurve for a few weeks. I
      had my Olympic recurve for exactly "1" week when I entered my first FITA
      tournament and had shot my bow a grand total of 3 times. While there is
      a big difference between how good I shot then versus today, I still see
      new archers entering their first tournament much greener than I was back
      then.
      Michael
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 4, 2005
        Your guess is right for a modern fiberglass bow but wrong for a wood
        bow. The fracture follows the grain, which is seldom as straight as we
        like thus causing the sharp pieces to fly sideways. I've watched both
        break and far prefer the modern failure.
        Carolus