Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Equipment Failures

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 1, 2005
      One thing we need to remember is that FITA almost never sees new archers.
      Their inspections are not meant to determine the safety of the equipment.
      By the time a National Archery Association archer gets to a tournament,
      they have been shooting for months if not years. They have been to the
      local shop many times, and probably shoot a couple times a week to
      practice. Any safety issues will have been taken care of long ago.

      We often see archers which are brand new or only shoot once a year. The
      people with good intentions, but limited knowledge are the targets of our
      inspections. I don't think the two systems are comparable. They are made
      to deal with very different situations.

      Nest
      --- jameswolfden <jameswolfden@...> wrote:

      > In searching through the documents, it was quite obvious that FITA
      > has much more elaborate and complex rules in place. I have no problem
      > with your original intent that we have a more lax system in place.

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 4, 2005
        Your guess is right for a modern fiberglass bow but wrong for a wood
        bow. The fracture follows the grain, which is seldom as straight as we
        like thus causing the sharp pieces to fly sideways. I've watched both
        break and far prefer the modern failure.
        Carolus