Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Equipment Failures

  • J. Hughes
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 1, 2005
      I have found these classes very useful, and look
      forward to the published work.

      Charles O'Connor
      --- ragnarketilsson <ragnarketilsson@...> wrote:

      > Funny you should mention a comprehensive guide...
      >
      > Happens I have been teaching various crossbow
      > classes for about three
      > years, while incorporating the class notes as
      > chapters in exactly
      > such a guide. The work goes slowly, simply because
      > I give each class
      > several times, ask for feedback from the students,
      > and fold the
      > feedback into the class.
      >
      > Watch for classes this year on "Competiton Strategy
      > and Tactics", and
      > for the first cut at the completed book. There is a
      > section on
      > marshaling crossbows, and it does discuss some of
      > the issues on the
      > table here, but most of this discussion is beyond
      > the scope of the
      > book - the kingdoms where I've played have had
      > inspections, so the
      > whole issue of 'whether' won't be addressed.
      >
      > Regards, and keep the pointy stuff flying downrange,
      > Ragnar Ketilsson
      >

      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lee"
      > <jeff@n...> wrote:
      > > Greetings All,
      > >
      > > I have just recently joined this list but have
      > been reading for the
      > past (snip)...
      > > Instead of working on a guide on how to dissect
      > someone's equipment
      > by a
      > > marshal who knows nothing about crossbows, why
      > don't we work on
      > putting
      > > together a comprehensive guide to raise the
      > knowledge of the general
      > > population? More knowledgeable crossbow makers
      > should mean more
      > safe
      > > equipment. More knowledgeable marshals should
      > mean more sensible
      > decisions
      > > on acceptable equipment. This may take a little
      > longer than making
      > > rulebook of sweeping, poorly written rules, but I
      > think the end
      > result would
      > > effect a culture change that would prove to be
      > more beneficial.
      > >
      > > In service,
      > >
      > > Fearghus MacCulloch

      > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
      > Medieval Mart
      > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
      > http://www.medievalmart.com/

      > leave this list]
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 4, 2005
        Your guess is right for a modern fiberglass bow but wrong for a wood
        bow. The fracture follows the grain, which is seldom as straight as we
        like thus causing the sharp pieces to fly sideways. I've watched both
        break and far prefer the modern failure.
        Carolus