Equipment Failures

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 27, 2005
      I will first state my bias right off the bat. I am not in favour in
      adding any more bureacracy and regulations than is absolutely
      necessary. I darn well don't want to start making up narrow
      guidelines on what constitutes safe and unsafe equipment
      because somebody sued MegaCompany for MegaBucks
      because their coffee was too hot and they scalded their lips.

      Does anyone have any evidence that our current unofficial
      guidelines are not working and people have been injured on the
      range as a result of this? If not, IMHO, we are trying to fix a
      problem that doesn't exist.

      In five years, I have seen one old lemonwood bow blow up but
      only the owner was hit by the pieces and he was not hurt. I have
      seen a few other equipment failures but nothing that resulted in
      anything dramatic. I have seen one crossbow misfire sending
      the bolt skittering along the ground but this was because the
      person shooting it was not familiar with how the safety worked
      and not because the crossbow itself would have failed
      inspection.

      I am far less concerned about being injured by equipment failure
      than I am about being injured by human failures. But even here,
      I think that our guidelines handle most of the issues already. We
      run safe ranges but occasionally someone forgets the normal
      rules.

      A marshall has the right to ban the use of any equipment he
      considers unsafe. An archer has the right to appeal a decision.
      Guidelines are already in place in most kingdoms and common
      sense can take care of the rest.

      James Wolfden
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 4, 2005
        Your guess is right for a modern fiberglass bow but wrong for a wood
        bow. The fracture follows the grain, which is seldom as straight as we
        like thus causing the sharp pieces to fly sideways. I've watched both
        break and far prefer the modern failure.
        Carolus