Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow Inspection Criteria

  • gregory harrison
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 25, 2005
      Hi everybody. I'm up in Oregon and i was wondering if you all knew where i could purchase sca combat crossbows and bolts...and any input on what type is good, what type to stay away from....etc...any help would be appreciated....thanks, Greg

      Hugh Prescott <hugh345@...> wrote:

      Just a couple of point in clarification based on about 14 years of building
      target and combat crossbows.

      Note that Barnett prods when installed in a Barnett crossbow can be wiggled
      and appear somewhat loose when properly mounted. This is because Barnett
      recommends that their prods be mounted with a rubber pad between it and the
      stock. This reduces the stress on the prod at the edges of the stock.

      A loose prod is not a problem if it stayes in the same place when being
      used. Just because it is loosely mounted is not a safety hazzard, the
      builder is just following the manufactures recommended mounting practices in
      the case of a Barnett prod. My experience with Gladuis prods indicate that a
      slightly movable prod shoots with better accuracy than a hard mounted one,
      possibably because less of the vibration fron the prod is transfered to the
      prod at release.

      An off center prod or a string not quite 90 degrees to the stock is also not
      a safety or hazzard problem. In any well constructed and tuned crossbow the
      prod may be shifted sideways to correct for a stronger limb on one side. If
      not mounted at the "center of force" a crossbow with a strong limb will
      throw the bolt with a butt left or right attitude degrading it accuracy.
      That is one of the things that causes bolts to pinwheel.

      I have encountered this belief (Solid fixed mount, mechanical centered prod
      & string 90 degrees) at many wars over the years. I can usually talk the
      inspecting marshal through the logic of why it's done and that it's not a
      safety problem but it's getting to be a old record.

      There is a lot more to building a crossbow than sticking a prod on the end
      of a stick.

      Even funnier was the VIP Marshal that saw me press cocking my crossbow at
      Pennsic one year and ran over ordering me not to do that as it was unsafe. A
      Calontir Archer Duke steped into the conversation which ended up with
      everyone aggreeing that it was safe and that the only reason she thought it
      was unsafe was because she had never seen it done before. She had never met
      a crosbowman with a bad back!

      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 11, 2005
        Snapped into two pieces.

        Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow Inspection Criteria