Re: Other Inspection Criteria

  • i_griffen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2005
      Greetings,

      I agree with Geoffrei the topic of inspection of selfbows should be
      done by someone who knows them. I don't shoot one and don't have an
      idea of how to properly inspect one.

      As I am sitting here I have started a doucument on how I inspect a
      fiberglass, composite(modern)bows. And also arrows. When I get done
      I will share it with the AG's for their comments.

      Ian Griffen

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, jrosswebb1@w... wrote:
      > Greetings,
      > This manual is a good idea. We certainly have a number of
      very
      > knowledgable people on crossbows (a subject that I had to train
      myself
      > on when I decided to do marshaling).
      > There is a ticklish topic that also needs addressing in a
      > marshal's inspection handbook and that is the subject of selfbows.
      Not
      > many marshals are all that knowledgeable about traditional
      selfbows.
      > They are more difficult to inspect and when there is a catastrophic
      > break on the line are potentially very dangerous to others. (But
      they
      > are just so much fun to shoot).
      > In the past a lot of my fellow marshals at Pennsic would send
      selfbows
      > my way for inspection and I would bow to the knowledge of those
      that
      > knew crossbows better.
      > Too many times good selfbows are rejected by marshals
      because they
      > are what is called "character bows". Really ugly twisted things to
      look
      > at (some find them pretty) but many are very well made and shoot
      well.
      > A lot of marshals don't know about the timber hitch/bowyer's
      knot
      > and reject perfectly good strings. Almost all of my British
      longbows
      > have one-ended strings.
      > There are lots of folks making bows now (Yay!) and most are
      > sensible and work real hard at it, but don't spend nearly enough
      time on
      > the tiller working to get a good arc. A "hinge-bend" bow may shoot
      okay
      > for a while but is destined to break real bad quickly.
      > Once a selfbow gets below 8% moisture it gets in a
      dangerous area