Re: Shooting gloves, was 'technique for turkish bows'

  • Cyan of Storvik
    Message 1 of 52 , Feb 7, 2005
      I had one of those gloves. It was made of latigo leather I believe
      (around 5-6 oz) and had the finger, thumb, a V-shape piece that
      connected them to a wrist strap. All made out of a single piece of
      leather.
      I actually bought it for my nephew to use, and I think I paid like
      $14 or so for it. But I had to alter it, because the finger holes
      were much too large. The latigo actually digs into the soft part of
      your hand (The web between the fingers) I could probably make a
      pattern for you from memory. But you'd have to alter by the size of
      your hand especially your the diameter of the fingers.
      I have a much easier instruction for making a shooting "mitten". It
      looks very medieval, and best of all, requires very little sewing
      and you can do it yourself with a modicum of supplies.
      Unlike cutting the fingers off a standard glove, you fingers stay
      nice and cool because the space between your knuckles is exposed to
      the open air.
      But you need some leather or cloth. I made one in broad cloth
      (muslin) with a piece of leather on the web between the index and
      thumb. It's very cool, and more comfortable then the latigo glove
      aforementioned, but not as nice looking as the leather mitten and
      provides no protection from the calouses you develop from where you
      grip the bow.
      I would suggest you get some deerskin (it's only about 1.5-2oz).
      It's light weight and breaths better then pig or goat skin, then
      make one out of the mitten instructions.
      If you'd like I can take some photos and post them on my web page so
      you can see.
      -Cyan of Storvik
      (I am the BEST period archer in Atlantia! See for yourself...
      http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/scorekeeper/index.html and click
      on "Period Handbow List" in the menu) ;)

      > shansu wrote:
      >

      > >Does anyone have a pattern for this type of hand protection? I
      mean
      > >the "wrap" that your fingers fit into that leaves most of your
      hand
      > >bare but still protects from the fletchings. I shoot off my hand
      as
      > >well, and found that gardening gloves are too heavy and hot... I
      saw
      > >one of these at Pennsic and would love to make one. However, I
      didn't
      > >get a close enough look to really figure it out. Any help would
      be
      > >appreciated. Or, if anyone sells these, and will be at Better War
      > >Through Archery, I would be happy to purchase one.

    • Dan Martin
      Message 52 of 52 , Feb 12, 2005
        Im temparly shooting a compound bow. Better than not shooting.
        I did somthing as a gag I put a loop on my old recurve bow and tried it with a release works grate. this will not work on a long bow you may snap the bow due to the differant leanths.
        I only shoot one of two ways either I shoot release I like or I shoot finger tabs. Not bad. My problem is I always mis place the snap tabs.
        works for hunting or compitition for comptiton you will use two sets during a day of shooting.
        I cant do gloves of any kind due to frost bite in both. Your not alone in hatred of glove. Hell I even tried the mitten the germans use that was torture

        John Rossignol <giguette@...> wrote:

        I also use a tab for the 3-finger draw. Here's one thing I have
        learned: be careful about shoving your tab into a pouch or pocket when
        you aren't using it, because it's easy for it to get bent up. This
        doesn't really seem to matter for un-timed shooting, but it can really
        slow you down on speed rounds.

        John

        Carolus von Eulenhorst wrote:

        >It's called a finger tab and I prefer one for recurve shooting as
        >well. You can get them made of calf skin with the hair on which gives a
        >faster release. I like to powder mine with a mixture of baby powder and
        >corn starch before shooting for less friction (powder the back side as well
        >to make it easier on your fingers).
        >Carolus
        >
        >At 10:53 AM 2/11/2005, you wrote:
        >

        >> Hello,
        >> After a few times shooting, i found i don't like gloves at all.
        >>So I don't wear one. I use one of these You slip your middle finger
        >>through the hole and your pulling fingers aren't right on the string.
        >> and when Im not shooting I can scratch my nose with that hand :) YAY!
        >>
        >>I would guess they are easy to make, but I bought mine from some guy
        >>at a war.
        >>
        >>Peace
        >>Rachael K

        Yahoo! Groups Links