Re: [SCA-Archery] Looking for Archery/Arrow Netting

  • Jeff Elder
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
      Here is information I received back in December when I asked a similar
      question.
      Simon Hondy

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, blooney@w... wrote:
      I purchased my JVD backstop netting from FS Discount Archery.
      http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1382

      I've got three, 10' X 10' sections (~$130/section) and they work really
      well. Also comes in 30' and 50' sections. I fabricated supports and with a
      little practice we've been able to erect the nets in ~15 - 20 minutes. Saves
      lots of time hunting for those pesky "flyers".

      It not designed for use as the primary means of protecting personnel!

      William of Mann
    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28, 2006
        This is a most worthwhile organization with an excellent annual journal
        on archery. I highly recommend it for any archer that is interested in
        the history of archery.

        Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf

        THE SOCIETY OF ARCHER ANTIQUARIES
        Its Origin - Its
        Objects - Membership

        In 1954, the idea of a society of archers interested in the history of
        archery was suggested by W.E. Tucker of Colchester, England in the
        "British Archer" magazine. In 1956, the Society was founded; a draft
        constitution was produced, and it was agreed to publish a journal
        annually.

        Membership now numbers in the hundreds with world wide contacts. The
        Journal which started as a duplicated transcript, has become a well
        printed annual issue containing articles on historical archery as it
        has been
        practiced throughout the world. A permanent headquarters has been
        established with the Royal Toxophilite Society at Archer's Lodge,
        Burnham, Buckinghamshire, where a display room is maintained with
        archery equipment from many parts of the world.

        Having been previously granted the status of a learned society by
        virtue of the quality of its researches and other work, the Society was
        registered as a charity in 1968. This confers certain financial
        advantages, as well as an obligation to assist and advise those who may
        have need of the help the Society can offer.

        The aim of the Society is to further the study of the bow and arrow
        and its development in all parts of the world from prehistoric times to
        the present, and also to study matters relating to the history of
        archery in general. All paid members receive our Journal which is
        published at the end of each membership year, and also occasional
        newsletters and related notices. In England, visits are occasionally
        arranged to places of interest, which have included the British Museum,
        the Tower of London Armouries and the Manchester Museum, where members
        have had the opportunity to examine many items that are not normally
        displayed. Each year a shoot has been held on the grounds of the Royal
        Toxophilite Society, usually in early August, where the main object is
        to demonstrate and encourage the study of equipment and techniques from
        other parts of the world.

        Membership, which includes several leading museums and university
        libraries, is open to all persons interested. Subscription rates are
        determined as necessity requires at the Annual General Membership
        Meeting normally held in March of each year. Due to the constant
        fluctuation in monetary exchange rates, the U.S. subscription rate may
        vary, but at present it is fixed at $35.00, payable to the U.S.
        Representative whose address appears below. Additional enquiries may
        be addressed to the Hon. Secretary, Mr. Douglas Elmy, 61 Lambert Road,
        Bridlington, Yorkshire, England.

        The following site has a few of the many excellent articles found in
        the Journal over the last few years.
        http://www.student.utwente.nl/~sagi/artikel/

        Observations on the returning arrow
        Steel bows from India
        Archery and Mathematical Modeling
        Oriental Hinged and Take-apart Bows
        On the Mechanics of some Replica Bows
        The Medieval English Longbow
        Ballistic Properties in Ancient Egyptian Arrows
        Turkish Flight Arrows
        Whistling arrows
        The Decline of the Longbow
        Ancient Composite bows
        Some Speculations on the nature of Long bowstrings
        Further Speculations on the nature of Long bowstrings.

        Articles from the Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries

        "The Compound Bow"
        Twenty-five years after Allen's patent of December 1969. The history
        of the development of the well known bow and a little more.
        Observations on the returning arrow
        This works, Marcelo tried it himself!

        "Steel bows from India"
        High tech from a long time ago.
        Archery and Mathematical Modelling
        Enough to keep you busy for a while! Covers the modelling of recurve
        bows.

        "Oriental Hinged and Take-apart Bows"
        And you thought the recurve take-down bow was modern?
        On the Mechanics of some Replica Bows
        A further investigation on the modelling of bows.

        "The Medieval English Longbow"
        Characteristics and origin. An article about the early longbows and how
        they came to England.
        Ballistic Properties in Ancient Egyptian Arrows
        A piece on arrow spine by a non-engineer

        "Turkish Flight Arrows"
        The arrows the Turks used to achieve incredible long distance shots
        Whistling arrows
        The history of the noise making arrow.

        "The Decline of the Longbow"
        The downfall of the English longbow.
        Ancient Composite bows
        An article about an Assyrian bow found in Egypt.

        "Some Speculations on the nature of Longbowstrings"
        What were old strings made of?
        Further Speculations on the nature of Longbowstrings.
        Some additional notes about longbowstrings

        "North American Sioux Indian Archery"
        About the bows of Native Americans.

        Recent articles in the Journal

        The bow in the British Army
        Notes on the Crossbow Spanning Bench
        Archery Release Aids: evolution & revolution
        Some Notes on Antique Archery Arm-Guards
        The Crossbow & the Law from the Dark Ages to the Present
        Chu-Ko-Nu: the Manchurian Repeating Crossbow
        Archery in Scotland
        Bows used by the Huns
        The Archer�s Tassel
        Archery in Early Medieval Scotland
        Notes on Cranequin Making in the late 15th Century
        The Bow in Poland
        Some Thoughts on �Nestroque�
        Military Archery & the Inventory of King Henry VIII
        Some notes upon Archer References in the Ballads of Robin Hood
        Japanese Archery & Archers
        Turkish Bows, Arrows & Quivers
        Crossbow-making in Venice during the 13th Century
        A bow from an Egyptian tomb
        Islamic bow decoration
        Heron�s Cheiroballistra (A Roman Torsion Crossbow)
        Early Etruscan Archery
        Early Archer Rings

        The SAA now has a web site at www.societyofarcher-antiquaries.org
        The web site now has a forum for members where you can discuss archery
        and get replies from other members and experts.

        By later this year the SAA should have all their back issues of the
        Journal on CD which will be available to members.

        The next copy of the Journal will be coming out at the end of the year.
        There is also a newsletter that comes out three times a year. Send
        your check for $35.00 to the US representative listed below.

        Norman A. Graham
        American Representative
        800 E. Sherwood Rd.
        Williamston, MI 48895
        (517) 655-4755
        e-mail: grahamn@...

      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2006
          Gentles of The List,
          we have a group of Archers within our Company, and they would welcome this song to perform.

          I already have the words - does any Lister know if any Composer has set this to music? [Conan Doyle didn't have that done, so far as my researches have taken me.]

          Yours in Service,
          Matthew
          ["Messire Matthew Baker", Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497:
          Motto - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" (Trans:-"if you wish for Peace, prepare for War") ]
          aka. - Julian Wilson, - late-medieval Re-enactor; Herald, Historian, & Master Artisan to
          "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
          [the Island of "old" Jersey's only mediæval living-history Group]
          Meet us at < www.dukesleopards.org >"
          [input]
          -

        • Cian of Storvik
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9, 2006
            During a short google search I see that Nelson Eddy did a song
            called "The Song of the Bow". It may or may not be the same song. He's
            a bit before my time (by about 60 years).

            The search also turned up that Arthur COnan Doyle's "The Song of the
            Bow" was set to music by Florence Aylward 1898.
            -Cian of Storvik
          • felix47@juno.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2006
              I worked up some music for the song once, sang it before the last Spring Fasching here in Calontir, and they gave me a Bardic Cord for it. Unfortunatly, I'm not a misician, so I can"t copy onto paper. If you're at Lilies war next month I'll sing it for you.
              Felix G.

            • julian wilson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 10, 2006
                "felix47@..." <felix47@...> wrote:
                I worked up some music for the song once, sang it before the last Spring Fasching here in Calontir, and they gave me a Bardic Cord for it. Unfortunatly, I'm not a misician, so I can"t copy onto paper. If you're at Lilies war next month I'll sing it for you.

                REPLY
                Dear Felix,
                I only wish I could afford to attend ANY of the US-based inter-Kingdom Wars.
                Unfortunately, we live in "old" Jersey, on the other side ot the Atlantic; and travelling to the USA for SCA events would be a major expense we cannot contemplate on our present budget.
                Many thanks for your generous offer, though, and congratulations on your Bardic Cord!