Re: [SCA-Archery] Looking for Archery/Arrow Netting

  • Elizabeth Hawkwood
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2005
      Hi Friderich,

      Lancaster Archery, in Lancaster PA carries two types of archery netting.
      Website is www.lancasterarchery.com I've never seen them so I can't give
      you any recommendations. Also I have in my files the name of Alpha Pro
      Sports, 700 N Maine St, New Castle, Indiana Phone 765-521-2776, Again, no
      first hand knowledge of their product. Don't even know if they still exist,
      I've had their name on file for about 5 or 6 years, never contacted them.

      Elizabeth

      Nothing's Forgotten, Nothing is Ever Forgotten
    • Jeff Elder
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
        Here is information I received back in December when I asked a similar
        question.
        Simon Hondy

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, blooney@w... wrote:
        I purchased my JVD backstop netting from FS Discount Archery.
        http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1382

        I've got three, 10' X 10' sections (~$130/section) and they work really
        well. Also comes in 30' and 50' sections. I fabricated supports and with a
        little practice we've been able to erect the nets in ~15 - 20 minutes. Saves
        lots of time hunting for those pesky "flyers".

        It not designed for use as the primary means of protecting personnel!

        William of Mann
      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28, 2006
          This is a most worthwhile organization with an excellent annual journal
          on archery. I highly recommend it for any archer that is interested in
          the history of archery.

          Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf

          THE SOCIETY OF ARCHER ANTIQUARIES
          Its Origin - Its
          Objects - Membership

          In 1954, the idea of a society of archers interested in the history of
          archery was suggested by W.E. Tucker of Colchester, England in the
          "British Archer" magazine. In 1956, the Society was founded; a draft
          constitution was produced, and it was agreed to publish a journal
          annually.

          Membership now numbers in the hundreds with world wide contacts. The
          Journal which started as a duplicated transcript, has become a well
          printed annual issue containing articles on historical archery as it
          has been
          practiced throughout the world. A permanent headquarters has been
          established with the Royal Toxophilite Society at Archer's Lodge,
          Burnham, Buckinghamshire, where a display room is maintained with
          archery equipment from many parts of the world.

          Having been previously granted the status of a learned society by
          virtue of the quality of its researches and other work, the Society was
          registered as a charity in 1968. This confers certain financial
          advantages, as well as an obligation to assist and advise those who may
          have need of the help the Society can offer.

          The aim of the Society is to further the study of the bow and arrow
          and its development in all parts of the world from prehistoric times to
          the present, and also to study matters relating to the history of
          archery in general. All paid members receive our Journal which is
          published at the end of each membership year, and also occasional
          newsletters and related notices. In England, visits are occasionally
          arranged to places of interest, which have included the British Museum,
          the Tower of London Armouries and the Manchester Museum, where members
          have had the opportunity to examine many items that are not normally
          displayed. Each year a shoot has been held on the grounds of the Royal
          Toxophilite Society, usually in early August, where the main object is
          to demonstrate and encourage the study of equipment and techniques from
          other parts of the world.

          Membership, which includes several leading museums and university
          libraries, is open to all persons interested. Subscription rates are
          determined as necessity requires at the Annual General Membership
          Meeting normally held in March of each year. Due to the constant
          fluctuation in monetary exchange rates, the U.S. subscription rate may
          vary, but at present it is fixed at $35.00, payable to the U.S.
          Representative whose address appears below. Additional enquiries may
          be addressed to the Hon. Secretary, Mr. Douglas Elmy, 61 Lambert Road,
          Bridlington, Yorkshire, England.

          The following site has a few of the many excellent articles found in
          the Journal over the last few years.
          http://www.student.utwente.nl/~sagi/artikel/

          Observations on the returning arrow
          Steel bows from India
          Archery and Mathematical Modeling
          Oriental Hinged and Take-apart Bows
          On the Mechanics of some Replica Bows
          The Medieval English Longbow
          Ballistic Properties in Ancient Egyptian Arrows
          Turkish Flight Arrows
          Whistling arrows
          The Decline of the Longbow
          Ancient Composite bows
          Some Speculations on the nature of Long bowstrings
          Further Speculations on the nature of Long bowstrings.

          Articles from the Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries

          "The Compound Bow"
          Twenty-five years after Allen's patent of December 1969. The history
          of the development of the well known bow and a little more.
          Observations on the returning arrow
          This works, Marcelo tried it himself!

          "Steel bows from India"
          High tech from a long time ago.
          Archery and Mathematical Modelling
          Enough to keep you busy for a while! Covers the modelling of recurve
          bows.

          "Oriental Hinged and Take-apart Bows"
          And you thought the recurve take-down bow was modern?
          On the Mechanics of some Replica Bows
          A further investigation on the modelling of bows.

          "The Medieval English Longbow"
          Characteristics and origin. An article about the early longbows and how
          they came to England.
          Ballistic Properties in Ancient Egyptian Arrows
          A piece on arrow spine by a non-engineer

          "Turkish Flight Arrows"
          The arrows the Turks used to achieve incredible long distance shots
          Whistling arrows
          The history of the noise making arrow.

          "The Decline of the Longbow"
          The downfall of the English longbow.
          Ancient Composite bows
          An article about an Assyrian bow found in Egypt.

          "Some Speculations on the nature of Longbowstrings"
          What were old strings made of?
          Further Speculations on the nature of Longbowstrings.
          Some additional notes about longbowstrings

          "North American Sioux Indian Archery"
          About the bows of Native Americans.

          Recent articles in the Journal

          The bow in the British Army
          Notes on the Crossbow Spanning Bench
          Archery Release Aids: evolution & revolution
          Some Notes on Antique Archery Arm-Guards
          The Crossbow & the Law from the Dark Ages to the Present
          Chu-Ko-Nu: the Manchurian Repeating Crossbow
          Archery in Scotland
          Bows used by the Huns
          The Archer�s Tassel
          Archery in Early Medieval Scotland
          Notes on Cranequin Making in the late 15th Century
          The Bow in Poland
          Some Thoughts on �Nestroque�
          Military Archery & the Inventory of King Henry VIII
          Some notes upon Archer References in the Ballads of Robin Hood
          Japanese Archery & Archers
          Turkish Bows, Arrows & Quivers
          Crossbow-making in Venice during the 13th Century
          A bow from an Egyptian tomb
          Islamic bow decoration
          Heron�s Cheiroballistra (A Roman Torsion Crossbow)
          Early Etruscan Archery
          Early Archer Rings

          The SAA now has a web site at www.societyofarcher-antiquaries.org
          The web site now has a forum for members where you can discuss archery
          and get replies from other members and experts.

          By later this year the SAA should have all their back issues of the
          Journal on CD which will be available to members.

          The next copy of the Journal will be coming out at the end of the year.
          There is also a newsletter that comes out three times a year. Send
          your check for $35.00 to the US representative listed below.

          Norman A. Graham
          American Representative
          800 E. Sherwood Rd.
          Williamston, MI 48895
          (517) 655-4755
          e-mail: grahamn@...

        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9, 2006
            Gentles of The List,
            we have a group of Archers within our Company, and they would welcome this song to perform.

            I already have the words - does any Lister know if any Composer has set this to music? [Conan Doyle didn't have that done, so far as my researches have taken me.]

            Yours in Service,
            Matthew
            ["Messire Matthew Baker", Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497:
            Motto - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" (Trans:-"if you wish for Peace, prepare for War") ]
            aka. - Julian Wilson, - late-medieval Re-enactor; Herald, Historian, & Master Artisan to
            "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
            [the Island of "old" Jersey's only mediæval living-history Group]
            Meet us at < www.dukesleopards.org >"
            [input]
            -

          • Cian of Storvik
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2006
              During a short google search I see that Nelson Eddy did a song
              called "The Song of the Bow". It may or may not be the same song. He's
              a bit before my time (by about 60 years).

              The search also turned up that Arthur COnan Doyle's "The Song of the
              Bow" was set to music by Florence Aylward 1898.
              -Cian of Storvik
            • felix47@juno.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2006
                I worked up some music for the song once, sang it before the last Spring Fasching here in Calontir, and they gave me a Bardic Cord for it. Unfortunatly, I'm not a misician, so I can"t copy onto paper. If you're at Lilies war next month I'll sing it for you.
                Felix G.

              • julian wilson
                Message 7 of 9 , May 10, 2006
                  "felix47@..." <felix47@...> wrote:
                  I worked up some music for the song once, sang it before the last Spring Fasching here in Calontir, and they gave me a Bardic Cord for it. Unfortunatly, I'm not a misician, so I can"t copy onto paper. If you're at Lilies war next month I'll sing it for you.

                  REPLY
                  Dear Felix,
                  I only wish I could afford to attend ANY of the US-based inter-Kingdom Wars.
                  Unfortunately, we live in "old" Jersey, on the other side ot the Atlantic; and travelling to the USA for SCA events would be a major expense we cannot contemplate on our present budget.
                  Many thanks for your generous offer, though, and congratulations on your Bardic Cord!