Re: SHOOTING GLOVES

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2005
      In Toxophilus, Ascham recommends that men's leather gloves
      be lined with scarlet (a fine wool I believe).

      "Ledder, if it be nexte a mans skynne, wyl sweat, waxe hard and
      chafe, therefore scarlet for the softnes of it and thicknesse wyth
      all, is good to sewe wythin a mannes glove."

      James Wolfden

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Tim Williams
      <twilliams@m...> wrote:

      > This was a request on the Authentic_SCA list. Does anyone
      have any
      > information on shooting gloves being made in anything but
      leather?

      > Gwilim
      > Archer & Mariner
      > "DownEast" Maine
      >
      > Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:43:46 -0000
      > From: "Kim" <kbutler@s...>
      > Subject: Shooting Gloves
      >
      > Greetings to the list,
      >
      > I have question for you all. I was reading a book containing
      Privy
      > Purse accounts for Henry VIII and there is a listing for archery
      > equipment for Anne Boleyn that includes a "shooting glove."
      There