Points & "proof"

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 13, 2005
      The bodkin points thread has come up at just the right time! I was
      talking to a friend of mine in Caid recently, and the discussion came
      around to combat archery. I guess out in Caid (I'm in Shire of
      Oakheart, in Calontir), there is a ruling that "plate is proof"
      against combat arrows. Now, as I understand it, historically, a
      footed arrow with a bodkin point, shot from a war bow of a trained
      archer, should be able to pierce plate mail, should it not? Thus, it
      doesn't make sense to me that plate mail should automatically be
      completely impervious to combat archers' arrows. I mean, in theory
      it could be argued that not every archer on the field is going to be
      a trained longbowman of the Hundred Years War era. Likewise,
      however, the same argument could be made of fighters on the field,
      that not every one of them would be dressed in full plate with the
      sloping breastplate that could possibly deflect arrows, or of the
      high level of craftsmanship achieved at the height of the art. Thus,
      I figure it would break about even, with both sides being in equal
      peril on the field. So, my question here is if there is any
      documentable proof, especially modern tests done of replica longbows,
      that prove that plate is or isn't proof, or something of the like in
      period documentation. I seem to recall that there is documentation
      supporting the ability of the longbow, at least, being able to pierce
      plate mail of its time, but I can't recall it or find it among the
      books I have. Anyone up to the challenge? It may not change
      anything, but who cares? I just have a hard time as an archer
      letting that assertion go unchallenged.

      Yours on the line,
      Strongbow
      mka Ben Reeder
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 3, 2005
        Right you are. I'm on both lists and lost track of which one I was reading.
        Carolus