Re: [SCA-Archery] Current Instinctive Archer

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2000
      Location, Ragnar. Where these at???

      Brad

      dhumbers@... wrote:

      > From: dhumbers@...
      >
      > Two great articles this time, one a long letter on Norse archery from
      > a Scandinavian who'd been researching it for some time. The author
      > presents a very high level overview, but does promise more detail in
      > teh future.( or the future, for those of you who can type).
      >
      > The other article is an in-depth on Howard Hill's split vision aiming
      > method. Good stuff!
      >
      > Yet another inducement - a Spence cartoon!
      >
      > Ragnar Ketilsson

    • Guy Taylor
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17, 2000
        > From: "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...>
        >
        > Location, Ragnar. Where these at???
        >
        > Brad

        The Norse Archery is on page 26.

        The article on split vision aiming is on page 29.

        The Spence cartoon is page 25, bottom.

        And, of course, as Lord Ragnar's header stated, it's all in the current
        issue of Instinctive Archer Magazine.

        Taillear

        > > From: dhumbers@...
        > >
        > > Two great articles this time, one a long letter on Norse archery from
        > > a Scandinavian who'd been researching it for some time. The author
        > > presents a very high level overview, but does promise more detail in
        > > teh future.( or the future, for those of you who can type).
        > >
        > > The other article is an in-depth on Howard Hill's split vision aiming
        > > method. Good stuff!
        > >
        > > Yet another inducement - a Spence cartoon!
        > >
        > > Ragnar Ketilsson
      • D Humberson
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17, 2000
          Sorry, Brad - I should have said where in the message body. There is a
          magazine called 'Instinctive Archer', which regularly has some of the best
          articles on barebow shooting around. The current issue has the stuff I
          mentioned, and more besides.

          As if that's not enough, I just got my 'Traditional Bowhunter' magazine and
          it has the wrapup on a 5-part study on broadhead lethality. The authors'
          conclusions are very detailed, but basically reiterate Howard Hill's
          original findings: a heavy, sturdy 2-blade broadhead with a 3:1 length to
          width ratio, a heavy shaft with a diameter smaller than the ferrule of the
          broadhead, and if at all possible an exit wound. The whole series focused
          on real-world performance on game sized from smaller than a laurel swamp
          whitetail up to water buffalo.