Greetings

  • dogfael_ap_maelgwyn
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 7, 2005
      Greetings Lords and Ladies,

      I am finally getting around to introducing myself and saying hello.
      My name is Dogfael ap Maelgwyn. I recently have come to belong to the
      Kingdom of Alantia, more specifically Tears Sea Shore, in SC. I am a
      traveling Bard of sorts that was raised by Monks (for the most part)
      that hails from the 8th century land of Gwynedd - Wales. I am
      involved in fighting and archery. I have lived and studied in Wales
      for 8 yrs and a large part of my family still resides there. In the
      mundane world I am a farmer raising hogs,goats,ducks,turkeys,guineas,
      chickens and some dogs and cats with my wife (who is a tuchux)of 4
      yrs. I hope to get to know y'all better as time goes on. My wishes
      are that I can be of much help to those here as I can get help with
      things I need as well. Glad to be here and that y'all are here for me
      to know. I am new to the archery world in the SCA, so I am grateful
      for any and all help that I may be able to receive. Thanks.

      Sincerely,

      Dogfael ap Maelgwyn

      (mundanely known as Eli)
    • Tim Filemyr
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 16, 2009
        The technical aspects of archery can become a huge distraction if you let it. Unless you are prepared to overlook the vast compromises of period equipment it is almost more rewarding to simply shoot what you got and master its quirks and shortcommings... at least thats what they did in the olde days.

        That being said, too much fletch is generally better than too little,
        not enough spin is also better than too much (for those that fletch their own). Selecting the correct spine for your bow is probably the most important factor in predicting arrow flight.

        BTW, In the mundane world I shoot a FITA recurve and the many challenges of tuning that rig are almost always offset by the time lost not simply going out and practicing.