Re: Bow supplier question

  • lindorie55
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2005
      Our Barony has used bows from Bitterroot bows as prizes several
      times. I have heard of one bow that broke that was replaced by the
      maker immediately without question. I also know several people in our
      area that shoot with bows from Bitterroot and like them.

      Lady Linet Grey
      Baronial Archery Marshal
      Barony of the Steppes

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Johann Friedrich <yahoo@t...>
      wrote:
      > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, ragnall1 wrote:
      >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
      > > starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
      > > on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
      > > difficult.
      >
      > I and my wife both use bows from Bitter Root Bow at
      > http://stores.ebay.com/Bitter-Root-Bow-Shop and we've been pretty
      happy
      > with them. They obviously aren't going to be the top quality bows
      that
      > you can get for $400+, but it will work very well for you. No
      matter
      > what bow you get, just be sure to get your arrows matched to your
      bow.

      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Ragnall
      >
      > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=[The Realm of Darkness]=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      O-
      > Ken Bowley yahoo@t...
      > AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
      > -=-=-=-=[Per saltire sable and gules, in fess two rapiers Or]=-=-=-
      =-
    • Greg Young/Jocelyn Wirth
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
        >Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
        >starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
        >on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
        >difficult.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Ragnall

        I have been very happy with the longbow that I ordered from them. The
        bowyer was very accomodating and custom made my bow to my liking with no
        increase in price. It is a 74" selfbow made from ash, in the English
        longbow style with no handle or grip. It is actually kind of cool to feel
        it bend in your hand as you draw it!

        Baron Robin Kyrke
        Kingdom of Northshield
      • gatewood_archer
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 20, 2005
          Ok, here is my personal experience with woodbows.com. I purchased my
          first english longbow from them back in late October of 2004. It was
          made of red oak, 72 inches long with a 45 lb. draw weight. They
          suggest that you lubricate the bow immediately with petroleum jelly
          or something similar. I always kept the bow in a closet in my home
          and shot it frequently...4-5 times each week, 150 arrows per
          session, average.

          On December the 20th, I proceeded to do some practice shooting
          and as I was drawing the bow....CRACK....the lower limb began to go.
          So I sent woodbows.com an email about it and they sent me another
          one in like a week at no charge. Come to find out, I should not have
          been keeping my bow in the closet when storing. It DRIES the wood
          out and causes it to be much more brittle. I now keep the new bow in
          my garage where it's cool. And I have to say, it's doing just fine
          being that I only paid $50 bucks for it on ebay!

          When considering purchasing an inexpensive bow like this one, red
          oak is a hard wood, but also tends to be brittle if not well
          lubricated and kept in a cool dry place. The more expensive bows,
          which I'll get one day, are made of wood that's just as strong but
          also more flexible. Hope this helps.

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ragnall1" <jhmd002@c...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
          > starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
          > on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
          > difficult.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Ragnall
        • gatewood_archer
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 21, 2005
            I hope this reply goes through, but anyway, I purchased a bow from
            woodbows.com and it cracked after 2 months. So I sent woodbows.com
            an email and they sent me a new bow for no charge and recommended I
            keep the bow in a cool dry place as opposed to the closet where I
            was keeping the first one. It was drying out in there! So now I keep
            the bow in the garage where it's cool. The bow is made of red oak,
            which is not the best wood for a superb bow, but for the price, the
            new one they sent me shoots fine.

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ragnall1" <jhmd002@c...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
            > starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
            > on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
            > difficult.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Ragnall
          • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005

              >Message: 13
              > Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:04:43 -0000
              > From: "gatewood_archer" <gatewood_archer@...>
              >Subject: Re: Bow supplier question
              >

              >I hope this reply goes through, but anyway, I purchased a bow from
              >woodbows.com and it cracked after 2 months. So I sent woodbows.com
              >an email and they sent me a new bow for no charge and recommended I
              >keep the bow in a cool dry place as opposed to the closet where I
              >was keeping the first one. It was drying out in there! So now I keep
              >the bow in the garage where it's cool. The bow is made of red oak,
              >which is not the best wood for a superb bow, but for the price, the
              >new one they sent me shoots fine.
              >

              >--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ragnall1" <jhmd002@c...> wrote:
              >

              >>Hi all,
              >>
              >>Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
              >>starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
              >>on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
              >>difficult.
              >>
              >>Thanks,
              >>
              >>Ragnall

              I had similar experiences, early in 2001 my linen backed red-oak bow
              from woodbows.com exploded. The
              upper limb gave way, and shot a 15" piece of the belly back just past my
              ear.

              They two replaced it very quickly - with a non-linen backed bow. That
              bow now holds my banner w/device on it.

              I have now heard of several of these bows breaking after not much use.

              As for drying out in the closet.....what do you think it's going to do
              in a "cool, dry" garage?

              Their red-oak bows last for a little while. It's too bad because Phil
              and the group are nice enough.

              Just remember - you get what you pay for.

              Godwin

            • Paul Thorne
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
                I would suggest that you should make sure that you keep the bows oiled
                and or seal them up. I take lemonwood oil and wipe down all my bows until
                they can't take anymore. After they sit for a couple of days I then seal
                them up with Tongue Oil. Any bow no matter what the wood will dry out if
                not properly cared for. Hope this helps!

                Jean-Paul

                >>I hope this reply goes through, but anyway, I purchased a bow from
                >>woodbows.com and it cracked after 2 months. So I sent woodbows.com
                >>an email and they sent me a new bow for no charge and recommended I
                >>keep the bow in a cool dry place as opposed to the closet where I
                >>was keeping the first one. It was drying out in there! So now I keep
                >>the bow in the garage where it's cool. The bow is made of red oak,
                >>which is not the best wood for a superb bow, but for the price, the
                >>new one they sent me shoots fine.
                >>

                >>--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ragnall1" <jhmd002@c...> wrote:
                >>

                >>>Hi all,
                >>>
                >>>Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
                >>>starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
                >>>on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
                >>>difficult.
                >>>
                >>>Thanks,
                >>>
                >>>Ragnall
                >>>

                > I had similar experiences, early in 2001 my linen backed red-oak bow
                > from woodbows.com exploded. The
                > upper limb gave way, and shot a 15" piece of the belly back just past my
                > ear.
                >
                > They two replaced it very quickly - with a non-linen backed bow. That
                > bow now holds my banner w/device on it.
                >
                > I have now heard of several of these bows breaking after not much use.
                >
                > As for drying out in the closet.....what do you think it's going to do
                > in a "cool, dry" garage?
                >
                > Their red-oak bows last for a little while. It's too bad because Phil
                > and the group are nice enough.
                >
                > Just remember - you get what you pay for.
                >
                > Godwin

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • krymsonknight2003
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
                  <archergodwin@c...> wrote:

                  > I had similar experiences, early in 2001 my linen backed red-oak
                  bow
                  > from woodbows.com exploded. The
                  > upper limb gave way, and shot a 15" piece of the belly back just
                  past my
                  > ear.
                  >
                  > They two replaced it very quickly - with a non-linen backed bow.
                  That
                  > bow now holds my banner w/device on it.
                  >
                  > I have now heard of several of these bows breaking after not much
                  use.

                  > As for drying out in the closet.....what do you think it's going
                  to do
                  > in a "cool, dry" garage?
                  >
                  > Their red-oak bows last for a little while. It's too bad because
                  Phil
                  > and the group are nice enough.
                  >
                  > Just remember - you get what you pay for.
                  >
                  > Godwin

                  I would like to take a moment to share something with all of you
                  that I tell all my customers. Always store your bow in an area that
                  is not subject to large fluctuations in temperature. Keep your bow
                  away from ANY heat source. Remeber cooler is always better.
                  Preferably store your bow laying flat rather than standing it up on
                  its end. Keep it in a sloth bag (ie a bow sock) or wrapped in a
                  blanket.
                  John
                  Krymson Archer Bows
                  www.krymsonarcherbows.com
                • krymsonknight2003
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "krymsonknight2003"
                    <krymsonknight2003@y...> wrote:

                    > I would like to take a moment to share something with all of you
                    > that I tell all my customers. Always store your bow in an area
                    that
                    > is not subject to large fluctuations in temperature. Keep your bow
                    > away from ANY heat source. Remeber cooler is always better.
                    > Preferably store your bow laying flat rather than standing it up
                    on
                    > its end. Keep it in a sloth bag (ie a bow sock) or wrapped in a
                    > blanket.
                    > John
                    > Krymson Archer Bows
                    > www.krymsonarcherbows.com

                    oops I meant a cloth bag not a sloth bag lol
                  • Ragi of House brokenaxe
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
                      another good and probably period way to seal yer wooden bow is to make a small bowl of a 50 50 mix
                      of beex wax and linseed or tung oil. then use it as a paste wax on yer bows and arrows. it is what I
                      use and it works wonderfully.

                      I have also found that a bit of varnish and turpentine in the oil before mixing with the wax helps
                      to make the finish a little harder. and you can get some build up over time.

                      I make my own bows as well as arrows and I have never had a problem with this finish.

                      another finish I like is paste varnish sold in reno stores as paste varnish. just rub on and let dry
                      then buff with steel wool and reapply. after a few coats ya have a nice hard and dull finisht hat
                      looks like a hand rubbed oil finish.

                      as for letting yer bow dry out well check the humidity level in yer house or at least where you
                      store the bow, 50% ambient humidity will result in a 9% MC in the wood of the bow which is exactly
                      what you want. This cool and dry thing is umm a little vague.

                      Herre Ragi "warm Bear" Wul├×arsson of the Barony, Isle du Dragon Dormant.
                      (Sometimes known as RJ Bachner)

                      Northern shores, East Kingdom SCA.
                      ragi@...

                      Come visit the Archery diy Pages @