RE: [SCA-Archery] Bow supplier question

  • Guy Taylor
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2005
      Personally, I find they shoot slow and "loggy." But, lots of people really
      like them so it could just be me.

      Guy

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2005
        On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, ragnall1 wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
        > starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
        > on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
        > difficult.

        I and my wife both use bows from Bitter Root Bow at
        http://stores.ebay.com/Bitter-Root-Bow-Shop and we've been pretty happy
        with them. They obviously aren't going to be the top quality bows that
        you can get for $400+, but it will work very well for you. No matter
        what bow you get, just be sure to get your arrows matched to your bow.

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ragnall

        Ken Bowley yahoo@...
        AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
      • lindorie55
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2005
          Our Barony has used bows from Bitterroot bows as prizes several
          times. I have heard of one bow that broke that was replaced by the
          maker immediately without question. I also know several people in our
          area that shoot with bows from Bitterroot and like them.

          Lady Linet Grey
          Baronial Archery Marshal
          Barony of the Steppes

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Johann Friedrich <yahoo@t...>
          wrote:
          > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, ragnall1 wrote:
          >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
          > > starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
          > > on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
          > > difficult.
          >
          > I and my wife both use bows from Bitter Root Bow at
          > http://stores.ebay.com/Bitter-Root-Bow-Shop and we've been pretty
          happy
          > with them. They obviously aren't going to be the top quality bows
          that
          > you can get for $400+, but it will work very well for you. No
          matter
          > what bow you get, just be sure to get your arrows matched to your
          bow.

          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Ragnall
          >
          > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=[The Realm of Darkness]=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
          O-
          > Ken Bowley yahoo@t...
          > AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
          > -=-=-=-=[Per saltire sable and gules, in fess two rapiers Or]=-=-=-
          =-
        • Greg Young/Jocelyn Wirth
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
            >Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
            >starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
            >on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
            >difficult.
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Ragnall

            I have been very happy with the longbow that I ordered from them. The
            bowyer was very accomodating and custom made my bow to my liking with no
            increase in price. It is a 74" selfbow made from ash, in the English
            longbow style with no handle or grip. It is actually kind of cool to feel
            it bend in your hand as you draw it!

            Baron Robin Kyrke
            Kingdom of Northshield
          • gatewood_archer
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 20, 2005
              Ok, here is my personal experience with woodbows.com. I purchased my
              first english longbow from them back in late October of 2004. It was
              made of red oak, 72 inches long with a 45 lb. draw weight. They
              suggest that you lubricate the bow immediately with petroleum jelly
              or something similar. I always kept the bow in a closet in my home
              and shot it frequently...4-5 times each week, 150 arrows per
              session, average.

              On December the 20th, I proceeded to do some practice shooting
              and as I was drawing the bow....CRACK....the lower limb began to go.
              So I sent woodbows.com an email about it and they sent me another
              one in like a week at no charge. Come to find out, I should not have
              been keeping my bow in the closet when storing. It DRIES the wood
              out and causes it to be much more brittle. I now keep the new bow in
              my garage where it's cool. And I have to say, it's doing just fine
              being that I only paid $50 bucks for it on ebay!

              When considering purchasing an inexpensive bow like this one, red
              oak is a hard wood, but also tends to be brittle if not well
              lubricated and kept in a cool dry place. The more expensive bows,
              which I'll get one day, are made of wood that's just as strong but
              also more flexible. Hope this helps.

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ragnall1" <jhmd002@c...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
              > starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
              > on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
              > difficult.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Ragnall
            • gatewood_archer
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 21, 2005
                I hope this reply goes through, but anyway, I purchased a bow from
                woodbows.com and it cracked after 2 months. So I sent woodbows.com
                an email and they sent me a new bow for no charge and recommended I
                keep the bow in a cool dry place as opposed to the closet where I
                was keeping the first one. It was drying out in there! So now I keep
                the bow in the garage where it's cool. The bow is made of red oak,
                which is not the best wood for a superb bow, but for the price, the
                new one they sent me shoots fine.

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ragnall1" <jhmd002@c...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
                > starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
                > on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
                > difficult.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Ragnall
              • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005

                  >Message: 13
                  > Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:04:43 -0000
                  > From: "gatewood_archer" <gatewood_archer@...>
                  >Subject: Re: Bow supplier question
                  >

                  >I hope this reply goes through, but anyway, I purchased a bow from
                  >woodbows.com and it cracked after 2 months. So I sent woodbows.com
                  >an email and they sent me a new bow for no charge and recommended I
                  >keep the bow in a cool dry place as opposed to the closet where I
                  >was keeping the first one. It was drying out in there! So now I keep
                  >the bow in the garage where it's cool. The bow is made of red oak,
                  >which is not the best wood for a superb bow, but for the price, the
                  >new one they sent me shoots fine.
                  >

                  >--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ragnall1" <jhmd002@c...> wrote:
                  >

                  >>Hi all,
                  >>
                  >>Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
                  >>starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
                  >>on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
                  >>difficult.
                  >>
                  >>Thanks,
                  >>
                  >>Ragnall

                  I had similar experiences, early in 2001 my linen backed red-oak bow
                  from woodbows.com exploded. The
                  upper limb gave way, and shot a 15" piece of the belly back just past my
                  ear.

                  They two replaced it very quickly - with a non-linen backed bow. That
                  bow now holds my banner w/device on it.

                  I have now heard of several of these bows breaking after not much use.

                  As for drying out in the closet.....what do you think it's going to do
                  in a "cool, dry" garage?

                  Their red-oak bows last for a little while. It's too bad because Phil
                  and the group are nice enough.

                  Just remember - you get what you pay for.

                  Godwin

                • Paul Thorne
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
                    I would suggest that you should make sure that you keep the bows oiled
                    and or seal them up. I take lemonwood oil and wipe down all my bows until
                    they can't take anymore. After they sit for a couple of days I then seal
                    them up with Tongue Oil. Any bow no matter what the wood will dry out if
                    not properly cared for. Hope this helps!

                    Jean-Paul

                    >>I hope this reply goes through, but anyway, I purchased a bow from
                    >>woodbows.com and it cracked after 2 months. So I sent woodbows.com
                    >>an email and they sent me a new bow for no charge and recommended I
                    >>keep the bow in a cool dry place as opposed to the closet where I
                    >>was keeping the first one. It was drying out in there! So now I keep
                    >>the bow in the garage where it's cool. The bow is made of red oak,
                    >>which is not the best wood for a superb bow, but for the price, the
                    >>new one they sent me shoots fine.
                    >>

                    >>--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ragnall1" <jhmd002@c...> wrote:
                    >>

                    >>>Hi all,
                    >>>
                    >>>Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
                    >>>starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
                    >>>on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
                    >>>difficult.
                    >>>
                    >>>Thanks,
                    >>>
                    >>>Ragnall
                    >>>

                    > I had similar experiences, early in 2001 my linen backed red-oak bow
                    > from woodbows.com exploded. The
                    > upper limb gave way, and shot a 15" piece of the belly back just past my
                    > ear.
                    >
                    > They two replaced it very quickly - with a non-linen backed bow. That
                    > bow now holds my banner w/device on it.
                    >
                    > I have now heard of several of these bows breaking after not much use.
                    >
                    > As for drying out in the closet.....what do you think it's going to do
                    > in a "cool, dry" garage?
                    >
                    > Their red-oak bows last for a little while. It's too bad because Phil
                    > and the group are nice enough.
                    >
                    > Just remember - you get what you pay for.
                    >
                    > Godwin

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • krymsonknight2003
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
                      <archergodwin@c...> wrote:

                      > I had similar experiences, early in 2001 my linen backed red-oak
                      bow
                      > from woodbows.com exploded. The
                      > upper limb gave way, and shot a 15" piece of the belly back just
                      past my
                      > ear.
                      >
                      > They two replaced it very quickly - with a non-linen backed bow.
                      That
                      > bow now holds my banner w/device on it.
                      >
                      > I have now heard of several of these bows breaking after not much
                      use.

                      > As for drying out in the closet.....what do you think it's going
                      to do
                      > in a "cool, dry" garage?
                      >
                      > Their red-oak bows last for a little while. It's too bad because
                      Phil
                      > and the group are nice enough.
                      >
                      > Just remember - you get what you pay for.
                      >
                      > Godwin

                      I would like to take a moment to share something with all of you
                      that I tell all my customers. Always store your bow in an area that
                      is not subject to large fluctuations in temperature. Keep your bow
                      away from ANY heat source. Remeber cooler is always better.
                      Preferably store your bow laying flat rather than standing it up on
                      its end. Keep it in a sloth bag (ie a bow sock) or wrapped in a
                      blanket.
                      John
                      Krymson Archer Bows
                      www.krymsonarcherbows.com
                    • krymsonknight2003
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "krymsonknight2003"
                        <krymsonknight2003@y...> wrote:

                        > I would like to take a moment to share something with all of you
                        > that I tell all my customers. Always store your bow in an area
                        that
                        > is not subject to large fluctuations in temperature. Keep your bow
                        > away from ANY heat source. Remeber cooler is always better.
                        > Preferably store your bow laying flat rather than standing it up
                        on
                        > its end. Keep it in a sloth bag (ie a bow sock) or wrapped in a
                        > blanket.
                        > John
                        > Krymson Archer Bows
                        > www.krymsonarcherbows.com

                        oops I meant a cloth bag not a sloth bag lol
                      • Ragi of House brokenaxe
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
                          another good and probably period way to seal yer wooden bow is to make a small bowl of a 50 50 mix
                          of beex wax and linseed or tung oil. then use it as a paste wax on yer bows and arrows. it is what I
                          use and it works wonderfully.

                          I have also found that a bit of varnish and turpentine in the oil before mixing with the wax helps
                          to make the finish a little harder. and you can get some build up over time.

                          I make my own bows as well as arrows and I have never had a problem with this finish.

                          another finish I like is paste varnish sold in reno stores as paste varnish. just rub on and let dry
                          then buff with steel wool and reapply. after a few coats ya have a nice hard and dull finisht hat
                          looks like a hand rubbed oil finish.

                          as for letting yer bow dry out well check the humidity level in yer house or at least where you
                          store the bow, 50% ambient humidity will result in a 9% MC in the wood of the bow which is exactly
                          what you want. This cool and dry thing is umm a little vague.

                          Herre Ragi "warm Bear" Wul├×arsson of the Barony, Isle du Dragon Dormant.
                          (Sometimes known as RJ Bachner)

                          Northern shores, East Kingdom SCA.
                          ragi@...

                          Come visit the Archery diy Pages @