Society of Archer Antiquaries

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2004
      I have been a member for several years. The Journal articles alone are
      worth the cost of membership.

      Jon
      ********************

      THE SOCIETY OF ARCHER ANTIQUARIES
      Its Origin - Its
      Objects - Membership

      In 1954, the idea of a society of archers interested in the history of
      archery was suggested by W.E. Tucker of Colchester, England in the
      "British Archer" magazine. In 1956, the Society was founded; a draft
      constitution was produced, and it was agreed to publish a journal
      annually.

      Membership now numbers in the hundreds with world wide contacts. The
      Journal which started as a duplicated transcript, has become a well
      printed issue containing articles on historical archery as it has been
      practiced throughout the world. A permanent headquarters has been
      established with the Royal Toxophilite Society at Archer's Lodge,
      Burnham, Buckinghamshire, where a display room is maintained with
      archery equipment from many parts of the world.

      Having been previously granted the status of a learned society by
      virtue of the quality of its researches and other work, the Society was
      registered as a charity in 1968. This confers certain financial
      advantages, as well as an obligation to assist and advise those who may
      have need of the help the Society can offer.

      The aim of the Society is to further the study of the bow and arrow
      and its development in all parts of the world from prehistoric times to
      the present, and also to study matters relating to the history of
      archery in general. All paid members receive our Journal which is
      published at the end of each membership year, and also occasional
      newsletters and related notices. In England, visits are occasionally
      arranged to places of interest, which have included the British Museum,
      the Tower of London Armouries and the Manchester Museum, where members
      have had the opportunity to examine many items that are not normally
      displayed. Each year a shoot has been held on the grounds of the Royal
      Toxophilite Society, usually in early August, where the main object is
      to demonstrate and encourage the study of equipment and techniques from
      other parts of the world.

      Membership, which includes several leading museums and university
      libraries, is open to all persons interested. Subscription rates are
      determined as necessity requires at the Annual General Membership
      Meeting normally held in March of each year. Due to the constant
      fluctuation in monetary exchange rates, the U.S. subscription rate may
      vary, but at present it is fixed at $35.00, payable to the U.S.
      Representative whose address appears below. Additional enquiries may
      be addressed to the Hon. Secretary, Mr. Douglas Elmy, 61 Lambert Road,
      Bridlington, Yorkshire, England.

      The following site has a few of the many excellent articles found in
      the Journal over the last few years.
      http://www.student.utwente.nl/~sagi/artikel/

      Articles from the Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries

      The Compound Bow
      Twenty-five years after Allen's patent of December 1969. The history
      of the development of the well known bow and a little more.
      Observations on the returning arrow
      This works, Marcelo tried it himself!

      Steel bows from India
      High tech from a long time ago.
      Archery and Mathematical Modelling
      Enough to keep you busy for a while! Covers the modelling of recurve
      bows.

      Oriental Hinged and Take-apart Bows
      And you thought the recurve take-down bow was modern?
      On the Mechanics of some Replica Bows
      A further investigation on the modelling of bows.

      The Medieval English Longbow
      Characteristics and origin. An article about the early longbows and how
      they came to England.
      Ballistic Properties in Ancient Egyptian Arrows
      A piece on arrow spine by a non-engineer

      Turkish Flight Arrows
      The arrows the Turks used to achieve incredible long distance shots
      Whistling arrows
      The history of the noise making arrow.

      The Decline of the Longbow
      The downfall of the English longbow.
      Ancient Composite bows
      An article about an Assyrian bow found in Egypt.

      Some Speculations on the nature of Longbowstrings
      What were old strings made of?
      Further Speculations on the nature of Longbowstrings.
      Some additional notes about longbowstrings

      North American Sioux Indian Archery
      About the bows of Native Americans.

      The latest copy of the Journal will be coming out soon, so you need to
      subscribe now to get a copy. Send your check for $35.00 to the US
      representative listed below.

      Norman A. Graham
      American Representative
      800 E. Sherwood Rd.
      Williamston, MI 48895
      (517) 655-4755
      e-mail: grahamn@...

    • Carl Haicken
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2005
        Greetings,

        I'm looking for a reputable supplier of archery/arrow netting with good
        prices. The length I'm looking for is about 50 feet. I'm located in New
        York City, but mailorder is fine. Any suggestions?

        - Friderich
      • Elizabeth Hawkwood
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2005
          Hi Friderich,

          Lancaster Archery, in Lancaster PA carries two types of archery netting.
          Website is www.lancasterarchery.com I've never seen them so I can't give
          you any recommendations. Also I have in my files the name of Alpha Pro
          Sports, 700 N Maine St, New Castle, Indiana Phone 765-521-2776, Again, no
          first hand knowledge of their product. Don't even know if they still exist,
          I've had their name on file for about 5 or 6 years, never contacted them.

          Elizabeth

          Nothing's Forgotten, Nothing is Ever Forgotten
        • Jeff Elder
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1 4:22 AM
            Here is information I received back in December when I asked a similar
            question.
            Simon Hondy

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, blooney@w... wrote:
            I purchased my JVD backstop netting from FS Discount Archery.
            http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1382

            I've got three, 10' X 10' sections (~$130/section) and they work really
            well. Also comes in 30' and 50' sections. I fabricated supports and with a
            little practice we've been able to erect the nets in ~15 - 20 minutes. Saves
            lots of time hunting for those pesky "flyers".

            It not designed for use as the primary means of protecting personnel!

            William of Mann
          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 28, 2006
              This is a most worthwhile organization with an excellent annual journal
              on archery. I highly recommend it for any archer that is interested in
              the history of archery.

              Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf

              THE SOCIETY OF ARCHER ANTIQUARIES
              Its Origin - Its
              Objects - Membership

              In 1954, the idea of a society of archers interested in the history of
              archery was suggested by W.E. Tucker of Colchester, England in the
              "British Archer" magazine. In 1956, the Society was founded; a draft
              constitution was produced, and it was agreed to publish a journal
              annually.

              Membership now numbers in the hundreds with world wide contacts. The
              Journal which started as a duplicated transcript, has become a well
              printed annual issue containing articles on historical archery as it
[...]

              Archery and Mathematical Modeling
[...]

              Recent articles in the Journal

              The bow in the British Army
              Notes on the Crossbow Spanning Bench
              Archery Release Aids: evolution & revolution
              Some Notes on Antique Archery Arm-Guards
              The Crossbow & the Law from the Dark Ages to the Present
              Chu-Ko-Nu: the Manchurian Repeating Crossbow
              Archery in Scotland
              Bows used by the Huns
              The Archer�s Tassel
              Archery in Early Medieval Scotland
              Notes on Cranequin Making in the late 15th Century
              The Bow in Poland
              Some Thoughts on �Nestroque�
              Military Archery & the Inventory of King Henry VIII
              Some notes upon Archer References in the Ballads of Robin Hood
              Japanese Archery & Archers
              Turkish Bows, Arrows & Quivers
              Crossbow-making in Venice during the 13th Century
              A bow from an Egyptian tomb
              Islamic bow decoration
              Heron�s Cheiroballistra (A Roman Torsion Crossbow)
              Early Etruscan Archery
              Early Archer Rings

              The SAA now has a web site at www.societyofarcher-antiquaries.org
              The web site now has a forum for members where you can discuss archery
              and get replies from other members and experts.

              By later this year the SAA should have all their back issues of the
              Journal on CD which will be available to members.

              The next copy of the Journal will be coming out at the end of the year.
              There is also a newsletter that comes out three times a year. Send
              your check for $35.00 to the US representative listed below.

              Norman A. Graham
              American Representative
              800 E. Sherwood Rd.
              Williamston, MI 48895
              (517) 655-4755
              e-mail: grahamn@...

            • julian wilson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2006
                Gentles of The List,
                we have a group of Archers within our Company, and they would welcome this song to perform.

                I already have the words - does any Lister know if any Composer has set this to music? [Conan Doyle didn't have that done, so far as my researches have taken me.]

                Yours in Service,
                Matthew
                ["Messire Matthew Baker", Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497:
                Motto - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" (Trans:-"if you wish for Peace, prepare for War") ]
                aka. - Julian Wilson, - late-medieval Re-enactor; Herald, Historian, & Master Artisan to
                "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                [the Island of "old" Jersey's only mediæval living-history Group]
                Meet us at < www.dukesleopards.org >"
                [input]
                -

              • Cian of Storvik
                Message 7 of 9 , May 9, 2006
                  During a short google search I see that Nelson Eddy did a song
                  called "The Song of the Bow". It may or may not be the same song. He's
                  a bit before my time (by about 60 years).

                  The search also turned up that Arthur COnan Doyle's "The Song of the
                  Bow" was set to music by Florence Aylward 1898.
                  -Cian of Storvik
                • felix47@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 9, 2006
                    I worked up some music for the song once, sang it before the last Spring Fasching here in Calontir, and they gave me a Bardic Cord for it. Unfortunatly, I'm not a misician, so I can"t copy onto paper. If you're at Lilies war next month I'll sing it for you.
                    Felix G.

                  • julian wilson
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 10, 2006
                      "felix47@..." <felix47@...> wrote:
                      I worked up some music for the song once, sang it before the last Spring Fasching here in Calontir, and they gave me a Bardic Cord for it. Unfortunatly, I'm not a misician, so I can"t copy onto paper. If you're at Lilies war next month I'll sing it for you.

                      REPLY
                      Dear Felix,
                      I only wish I could afford to attend ANY of the US-based inter-Kingdom Wars.
                      Unfortunately, we live in "old" Jersey, on the other side ot the Atlantic; and travelling to the USA for SCA events would be a major expense we cannot contemplate on our present budget.
                      Many thanks for your generous offer, though, and congratulations on your Bardic Cord!