Re: [SCA-MissileCombat] RIGHT WING FEATHERS

  • Eadric Anstapa
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2004
      Capn Mac <capnmac@...> said:

      > I can't say that I've ever used the wrong wing in my jig. Has
      > anybody tried that? If so, was there any noticable effect on the
      > flight of the arrow/bolt?
      >
      > -Ce'tach

      Ya know this thread really should get moved to SCA-Archery since we
      really dont use feather fletches in CA.

      Obviously feathers have a natural curve to them. Look at the arrow
      from the nock end a right wing feather cruves to the left, a left
      wing feather curves to the right.

      If you use a left wing feather in a right wing helical clamp you
      will be forcing the feather to bend unnaturally. This could cause
      the spine of the feather to break but what it will do is cause the
      barbs of the feather to separate and lot lay cleanly together.

      What the the barbs? Those are the inividual little side branches
      off the shaft/quill that form the vane.
      http://www.kidwings.com/bodyparts/feathers/parts/

      Regards,

      --
      HL Eadric Anstapa
      DSEM CA
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2004
        OK, what this:

        should have said is:

        > what it CAN do is cause the
        > barbs of the feather to separate and NOT lay cleanly together.

        Regards,

        -EA

        Eadric Anstapa <smills@...> said:

        > Capn Mac <capnmac@...> said:
        > >
        > > I can't say that I've ever used the wrong wing in my jig. Has
        > > anybody tried that? If so, was there any noticable effect on the
        > > flight of the arrow/bolt?
        > >
        > > -Ce'tach
        >

        > Ya know this thread really should get moved to SCA-Archery since we
        > really dont use feather fletches in CA.
        >
        > Obviously feathers have a natural curve to them. Look at the arrow
        > from the nock end a right wing feather cruves to the left, a left
        > wing feather curves to the right.
        >
        > If you use a left wing feather in a right wing helical clamp you
        > will be forcing the feather to bend unnaturally. This could cause
        > the spine of the feather to break but what it will do is cause the
        > barbs of the feather to separate and lot lay cleanly together.
        >
        > What the the barbs? Those are the inividual little side branches
        > off the shaft/quill that form the vane.
        > http://www.kidwings.com/bodyparts/feathers/parts/
        >
        > Regards,
        >

        > --
        > HL Eadric Anstapa
        > DSEM CA
        > eadric@...
      • Lord Caedmon Wilson
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2004
          Left wing. Right wing. Makes no difference as long all of the arrows
          your are shooting are the same.

          --
          Lord Caedmon Wilson

          Crossbow Archery Champion, Barony Flaming Gryhon
          Rapier Champion, South Oaken Region