Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Your point glue recommendation

  • Guy Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2000
      > From: Greg Young/Jocelyn Wirth <excalibr@...>

      > One tip to help the tips stay on longer: Before applying any epoxy, clean
      > out the insides of your field points with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip.
      > This removes any residue and oils from the inside that might prevent
      proper
      > bonding of the epoxy.
      >
      > In service,
      >
      > THL Robin Kyrke, Forester
      > Principality Archery Marshal for Northshield
      > Midrealm

      Very good point and I should have said the same thing. When tips are
      purchased they have a light coating of oil to keep them from rusting before
      we use (lose?) them. The machining process can also leave metal chips
      inside the tip. Both the oil and any extraneous left overs need to be
      removed before a good bond with any glue can be expected. If you don't
      clean the surface you will essentially be gluing your shaft to ... oil. I
      personally use denatured alcohol for degreasing because I have it on hand
      since I mix my shaft dyes with it. Any good degreasing agent will suffice.
      Take appropriate chemical precautions.

      Many thanks to THL Kyrke for pointing out this step.

      Taillear