Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 1811

  • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2004
      Message: 5

      > Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:58:12 -0800
      > From: John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      >Subject: hay bales?
      >
      >Can someone post the average dimensions of a hay bale, width, length
      >and height?
      >
      >Thanks
      >
      >Jon

      Your basic straw bale will be 17-20 inches wide, 14-16 inches in height
      and 44-46 inches long.
      Very much the same dimensions as a hay bale, because they are baled by
      the same machine.
      The height and width generally cannot be changed much, but the length
      can be modified, as well as the weight.
      The hay bale will be heavier, because the clover/alfalpha packs tighter
      because of moisture content when baled.
      Straw is the left-over stalks of wheat/barley after threshing, and packs
      lighter because it's coarser and drier.

      Dimensions may change depending on how you intend to use or store the
      bales. The dimension I gave are basic for Southern Idaho.

      Godwin