hay bales?

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 11, 2004
      Can someone post the average dimensions of a hay bale, width, length
      and height?

      Thanks

      Jon
    • Kiley Myers
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 11, 2004
        John,

        Bales can vary, so you might want to check with your
        source to find out what size they have. It depends on
        what kind of baler is used, and at least some balers
        have settings, or at least they used to when I was a
        kid and was more involved with that sort of thing.
        They must still, since I know for sure bales can be
        ordered in specific sizes for building purposes
        (strawbales are used to build all sorts of structures,
        they are wonderful for insulation, and the homes can
        be quite elegant). Usually they are about 18 inches
        deep, 12inches high and maybe 3 feet long. Sometimes
        they are bigger. I'm sure there aren't dozens of
        standard sizes. I can go out tomorrow and measure one
        of the bales on our little range if you want something
        more precise. Moset bales are about the size of the
        ones we've got.

        Caileigh

        > Can someone post the average dimensions of a hay
        > bale, width, length
        > and height?

        =====
        Caileigh's Castiles
        Artizan Soaps
        It's good clean fun!

        http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
      • Kiley Myers
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 11, 2004

          =====

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 11, 2004
            Thanks for the information. I just wanted a second opinion for my faded
            memory.

            Jon
            On Saturday, December 11, 2004, at 04:43 PM, Kiley Myers wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > Bales can vary, so you might want to check with your
            > source to find out what size they have. It depends on
            > what kind of baler is used, and at least some balers
            > have settings, or at least they used to when I was a
            > kid and was more involved with that sort of thing.
            > They must still, since I know for sure bales can be
            > ordered in specific sizes for building purposes
            > (strawbales are used to build all sorts of structures,
            > they are wonderful for insulation, and the homes can
            > be quite elegant). Usually they are about 18 inches
            > deep, 12inches high and maybe 3 feet long. Sometimes
            > they are bigger. I'm sure there aren't dozens of
            > standard sizes. I can go out tomorrow and measure one
            > of the bales on our little range if you want something
            > more precise. Moset bales are about the size of the
            > ones we've got.
            >

            > Caileigh
          • Carl West
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 11, 2004
              John edgerton wrote:

              > Can someone post the average dimensions of a hay bale, width, length
              > and height?

              Not an answer, just a related observation:

              I don't have any to measure, but in my experience around here (eastern
              Massachusetts) straw bales are tighter, lighter, larger and cheaper than
              hay bales.

              -- Fritz

              Carl West
              mailto:carl.west@...
              http://carl.west.home.comcast.net
            • Lord Cain Saethydd
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 13, 2004
                Being a truck driver in the 'AG' (agriculture) business, I can
                persoanly attest that there is not a standard size to the bales. The
                range from 25lbs to well over 4 tons. Dimension, of course, varying
                as well. The prime reason for the variances remains in the hands of
                the equipment manufacturers. It seems that each manufacturer has a
                large and small bale size, and builds the baling machines to fit
                thier own 'special' sizes. =/

                Of note, straw is not as dense, nor as strong as hay. So, the straw
                bales will not hold up as well as the hay bales when used for
                archery or war barriers. However, straw was used, and is still, a
                very nice way to cover up mud, and soak up the water. The 'Duchey of
                the Blackrose' occasionaly uses it. To have a mud field become solid
                and passable, especialy when it is in front of your tent, is
                priceless, let me tell you!

                Cain

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...>
                wrote:
                > Can someone post the average dimensions of a hay bale, width,
                length
                > and height?
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Jon
              • George Mateja
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 13, 2004
                  You are not correct when you state that "straw is not
                  as dense, nor as strong as hay. So, the straw bales
                  will not hold up as well as the hay bales when used
                  for archery or war barriers." Wire tied straw bales
                  are packed much more densely than hay and hold up
                  better than twine packed bales. They have the
                  advantage of being baled as tightly as round bales and
                  are able to be carried on and off the field by hand.
                  They easily last several years under heavy use for
                  archery.

                  Vaclav

                  --- Lord Cain Saethydd <capt_cain@...> wrote:

                  > Being a truck driver in the 'AG' (agriculture)
                  > business, I can
                  > persoanly attest that there is not a standard size
                  > to the bales. The
                  > range from 25lbs to well over 4 tons. Dimension, of
                  > course, varying
                  > as well. The prime reason for the variances remains
                  > in the hands of
                  > the equipment manufacturers. It seems that each
                  > manufacturer has a
                  > large and small bale size, and builds the baling
                  > machines to fit
                  > thier own 'special' sizes. =/
                  >
                  > Of note, straw is not as dense, nor as strong as
                  > hay. So, the straw
                  > bales will not hold up as well as the hay bales when
                  > used for
                  > archery or war barriers. However, straw was used,
                  > and is still, a
                  > very nice way to cover up mud, and soak up the
                  > water. The 'Duchey of
                  > the Blackrose' occasionaly uses it. To have a mud
                  > field become solid
                  > and passable, especialy when it is in front of your
                  > tent, is
                  > priceless, let me tell you!
                  >
                  > Cain
                  >
                  > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton
                  > <sirjon1@p...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Can someone post the average dimensions of a hay
                  > bale, width,
                  > length
                  > > and height?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > >
                  > > Jon

                  > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
                  > Medieval Mart
                  > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
                  > http://www.medievalmart.com/

                  > leave this list]
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                • lindorie55
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                    Why does somebody need to be wrong here. Obviously you gentlemen have
                    different experiences with straw bales, but neither of you has to be
                    right, nor wrong. My own experience with bales of all kinds is that
                    whether a bale is more dense or less depends a lot on the machine it
                    was baled on and the settings. Straw would, scientifically be less
                    dense on the basis of it being made of hollow tubes filled with air,
                    but if compressed tightly enough, yes a bale would be quite sturdy. I
                    have had reason to be in contact with both tightly baled straw and
                    hay as well as loosely baled hay and straw. Personally I would rather
                    try straw as it is cheaper and why waste good feed. Now if I could
                    get moldy bales of hay for free...I'd take that in a second.

                    Both of you are correct in your statements. The only thing I see that
                    is wrong is the combative tone of the second post. Please consider
                    the tone of your messages. We are supposed to be part of an
                    organization that bases its existance on chivalric values such as
                    honor and courtesy.

                    Happy Holidays

                    Lady Linet Grey

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, George Mateja <bryn1594@y...>

                  • Mark Hendershott
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                      At 04:18 PM 12/14/04 +0000, Lady Linet Gray wrote:

                      >Why does somebody need to be wrong here. Obviously you gentlemen have
                      >different experiences with straw bales, but neither of you has to be
                      >right, nor wrong. My own experience with bales of all kinds is that
                      >whether a bale is more dense or less depends a lot on the machine it
                      >was baled on and the settings. Straw would, scientifically be less
                      >dense on the basis of it being made of hollow tubes filled with air,
                      >but if compressed tightly enough, yes a bale would be quite sturdy. I
                      >have had reason to be in contact with both tightly baled straw and
                      >hay as well as loosely baled hay and straw. Personally I would rather
                      >try straw as it is cheaper and why waste good feed. Now if I could
                      >get moldy bales of hay for free...I'd take that in a second.
                      >
                      >Both of you are correct in your statements. The only thing I see that
                      >is wrong is the combative tone of the second post. Please consider
                      >the tone of your messages. We are supposed to be part of an
                      >organization that bases its existance on chivalric values such as
                      >honor and courtesy.
                      >
                      >Happy Holidays
                      >
                      >Lady Linet Grey

                      delete prior messages

                      Straw has one other advantage. When you are through with it can be used
                      for mulch in the garden without much risk of importing avery plant growing
                      in the hay field.

                      Simon Sinneghe
                      Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                        Now for a real farmer's answer. The John Deere 25T(20 year old baler, two
                        twine or two wire baler) uses a cross-section of 14 by 18 inches and 12 to
                        50 inches long(from the Operators manual that we got with the new baler).
                        There are other balers with different sizes but this is the MOST common. We
                        make our bales 32-40 inches long so they will stack easily. Wire tied straw
                        bales are my choice for butts. Hay is sometimes baled looser so it can
                        finish drying or can be lifted by old men. Old hay is cheaper than straw and
                        will loosen with age. Straw will stay tight a long time unless the mice get
                        into it.

                        James Cunningham

> [...]
                        > > > archery or war barriers. However, straw was used,
                        > > > and is still, a
                        > > > very nice way to cover up mud, and soak up the
                        > > > water. The 'Duchey of
                        > > > the Blackrose' occasionaly uses it. To have a mud
                        > > > field become solid
                        > > > and passable, especialy when it is in front of your
                        > > > tent, is
                        > > > priceless, let me tell you!
                        > > >
                        > > > Cain
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton
                        > > > <sirjon1@p...>
                        > > > bale, width,
                        > > > length

                        > > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
                        > > > Medieval Mart
                        > > > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
                        > > > http://www.medievalmart.com/

                        > > > leave this list]
                        > > >
                        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > > Yahoo! Mail - now with 250MB free storage. Learn more.

                      • Dan Martin
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                          I like this post.....Thank You blackwaterincorp

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 17, 2004
                            =) I stand almost corrected. Well, mostly corrected.

                            I was comparing twine and twine. The wire wrapped hay is so
                            dense, it really takes 4 men to move them.

                            Now, I had totaly forgot about wire wrapped, so don't thump me.

                            I said don't thump me.

                            Well, why are you not trying to thump me?

                            -sniff- You don't love me no more!

                            =) Cain

                            (the previous was not directed at any one person)

                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 17, 2004
                              Hay mold... allergies HO!

                              heheheh.

                              Yes, the settings and such make all the difference.

                              Cain

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "lindorie55" <sueorintx@h...>

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 17, 2004

                                Don't get me started on mice and foolish truck drivers sleeping on
                                top of thier loads of cotton seed.

                                Cain (foolish and Nekkid truck driver)

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."