Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Thumb Rings

  • John Rossignol
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
      You are quite welcome. I'm way out in the West, but maybe we'll get a
      chance to shoot together someday, who knows? Good shooting, and have fun.

      John (Barony of Darkwood, Kingdom of the West)

      melthemouse wrote:

      >"Here" is this forum. Geographically, I am in Atlantia, specifically
      >the Barony of Nottinghill-Coil (hope I spelled that right!). :-)

    • i_griffen
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010
        Greetings Afternoon All

        I am trying to research the usage of Thumb Rings. The links I had have disapeared. Does anyone know of any links that would help with my reseach?

        Iain Griffen
        Aten
      • Guy Taylor
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010

          Guy
          Greenman Archery

          I am trying to research the usage of Thumb Rings. The links I had have disapeared. Does anyone know of any links that would help with my reseach?

          Iain Griffen
          Aten

        • The Greys
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 30, 2010
            There is this book http://www.3riversarchery.com/Books+DVD%27s+Educational+History+Kay%27s+Thumbring+Book_c42_s18_p268_i6343_product.html that discusses history, types and use of the thumb ring. Kaye's Thumb Ring book.

            http://silverhorde.viahistoria.com/main.html?ThumbRing.html this site shows how to make a leather thumb ring but also has lots of links for sources.

            cog

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@...> wrote:

            > Greetings Afternoon All
            >
            > I am trying to research the usage of Thumb Rings. The links I had have disapeared. Does anyone know of any links that would help with my reseach?
            >
            > Iain Griffen
            > Aten

          • jbl
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 11, 2010
              Another spot is Spitfire horsebows he has an eduacation section on there with pictures of the shot sequence and some videos. There is also a memebers only forum that you could join that is VERY helpful.

              ATARN has some great information about all aspects of Asian archery and has severallinks on how to build a thumb ring. There are also several good videos from ATARN on youtube that show how to use a thumb draw.

              I have built several rings using horn, a PVC pipe union and leather. The leather ring took about five minutes to make. I cut the leather to the size of my thumb, punched two holes on the bottom and took a leather boot lace and thread it through the holes tied it on to my thumb and bingo-thumb ring.

              To start off with the thumb draw I would recommend a 25-30# and work your way up to the weight you normally use. I have been shooting with the thumb draw exclusively over the last two years and I find that I am more accurate and faster then I was with a split finger release. There is a learning curve but I really didn't find it as hard as many make it out to be. Good luck and if you need anymore info just ask.

              Dmytro