Re: [SCA-Archery] Die Armbrust, Harmuth

  • Alberic
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2004
      Greetings:

      Speaking as someone who once spent a month trying to make
      Payne-Gallway's conception of a set trigger actually *work*....
      He's OK for the outsides of bows, assuming you have access to such
      everyday things as a local Liege spring maker, but don't trust him for
      a second when it comes to either the inner workings of crossbows and
      their parts, or to the exact reason why things might have been done a
      certain way. Near as I can tell, he looked at the outside of a number
      of bows, and based his conclusions on external examination only.

      Harmuth actually x-rayed period locks, so his mechanical information is
      vastly superior. Alm also has much more concrete grounding in the what
      and whyfors of crossbow construction.

      For whatever that all's worth.
      Alberic
    • B K
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        Thank you to all of those who weighed in with there perspective. I will be
        doing more research and reading the books you recomended before starting my
        winter project of crossbow construction.

        yis,
        Andronikos