crossbow

  • Ryynänen Harri
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2000
      Greetings.

      I'm looking for instructions for crossbowmaking.
      Has anyone url for such pages?

      Haakon Pikinokka
    • noah_ganzevoort
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 17, 2010
        im getting a Flemish crossbow with a 100# pull does anyone know which spine weight i will need to make my bolts
      • i_griffen
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 17, 2010
          I buy 11/32" shafts and cut them in half for my 75# crossbow I usually spine the shafts at 50 to 60 lbs.

          Iain
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "noah_ganzevoort" <ndg1677@...> wrote:

          > im getting a Flemish crossbow with a 100# pull does anyone know which spine weight i will need to make my bolts

        • Scott B. Jaqua
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 17, 2010
            On 11/17/2010 9:07 PM, noah_ganzevoort wrote:

            im getting a Flemish crossbow with a 100# pull does anyone know which spine weight i will need to make my bolts

            Spine is irrelevant on crossbow bolts. Crossbows by definition are center shot. Also because of how short bolts are the effective spine weight is multiplied so even the lightest bolts are over spined for a given weight of draw.

            No consistent weight is far, far more critical. And in most cases the lightest weight you can get consistently is desirable.

            Njall
            --
            Scott B. Jaqua
            Hagerson Forge

          • James Koch
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 17, 2010
              Njall,

              I believe the correct term is "tracked" rather than "center shot".  Calling all crossbows center shot will just confuse people since "center shot" is used to refer to crossbows with separate prod limbs which allow the bolt to pass between rather than over them.

              Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

              >   At 10:48 PM 11/17/2010, you wrote:

              On 11/17/2010 9:07 PM, noah_ganzevoort wrote:

              im getting a Flemish crossbow with a 100# pull does anyone know which spine weight i will need to make my bolts
              Spine is irrelevant on crossbow bolts. Crossbows by definition are center shot. Also because of how short bolts are the effective spine weight is multiplied so even the lightest bolts are over spined for a given weight of draw.

              No consistent weight is far, far more critical. And in most cases the lightest weight you can get consistently is desirable.

              Njall

              --
              Scott B. Jaqua
              Hagerson Forge
              www.hagersonforge.com

            • hanhebin
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
                > I buy 11/32" shafts and cut them in half for my 75# crossbow I
                > usually spine the shafts at 50 to 60 lbs.

                Spine isn't relevant for crossbow bolts.

                I make either short bolts or long bolts depending on the distance I am planning on shooting. Longer bolts for shorter distances and short bolts for anything 60 yards and over. Same with fletching as I do longer fletching for shorter distances.

                One universal thing I do is use the heaviest tip I can as for me I have found this tightens my groupings. I personally like 190 grain tips.

                Another thing that I do depending on the material my stock is made of is lubricate the shooting deck. Raillube is great for wood but for a synthetic surface I use something like ArmorAll. Amazing how many ft/sec you gain.

                Michael