Re: [SCA-Archery] Yet another starting out...

  • Brian Dee
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
      I would first try eBay and type in longbow, there are loads of them, all different weights. Remember that comabat archery has a limit of 30lbs.
      Brian

      psandusky@... wrote:

      I apologize in advance if any of these questions have already
      been asked...

      I'm starting out in archery (and, really, the SCA) in general,
      and I'm having a doozy of a time getting a bow to start with.
      Many people have suggested that I go to garage sales/flea
      markets/yard sales to find a bow, but I'm somewhat skeptical.
      It sounds like looking for a needle in a haystack. Are
      traditional bows really that common at these sales?

      I checked out one sporting goods store, only to find that the
      only bows they had were either a) compound or b) traditional
      but sized for ages 5-10. I'm going to try another shop that
      advertises archery supplies.

      I've also been looking at the web, and in particular,
      woodbows.com and the archery articles at the Florilegium got my
      attention. Woodbows seems to have some excellent prices for
      longbows, but there's an article on Florilegium on how to make
      longbows (or longbows with slight recurves) from rattan.

      What I'm wondering is, which route might be the best (cheapest?
      safest?) way to go? Would a longbow be better for the purposes
      of first principles, or would a recurve work better? Buy or
      build?

      I know I don't want to start out with period equipment simply
      for the sake of being period. First I want to learn to shoot,
      and any suggestions you could give would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Paula Sandusky
      Barony of St. Swithin's Bog
      AEthelmearc

      ===============
      Minsky and I require every graduate student to take an oath at
      the grave of E.E. "Doc" Smith before he can receive a PhD in
      AI.
      -- John McCarthy, Computer Science Department, Stanford, CA
      94305

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Brian Dee

      Lincoln, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom

      Outside UK, call +44-1522 519 153

      In UK, call: 01522 519 153

    • Johann Friedrich
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
        If going into an archery shop, be sure to keep in mind that you arn't
        allowed to use bows with training wheels.

        Hopefully you have better shops near you then we do out here in Atenveldt.
        The best shop we have out here is at least an hour drive from where I
        live.

        If you are interested in purchasing a bow online, I've been pretty happy
        with the Bitter Root Bow Shop. They sell thru eBay, but I've been
        impressed with the quality you get for the price. My wife just recently
        purchased a 30# longbow, and can't wait to get out to a normal practice
        after breaking it in at our short back yard range.

        http://stores.ebay.com/Bitter-Root-Bow-Shop

        Ken Bowley yahoo@...
        AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
      • lefthandarcher
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Johann Friedrich <yahoo@t...> >
          Hopefully you have better shops near you then we do out here in
          Atenveldt.
          > The best shop we have out here is at least an hour drive from
          where I
          > live.

          In my experenice if you talk to a shop owner he/she will assist you
          in finding what you need. Also if you know someone that is close to
          the shop that is a distance away you could ask them to help you in
          your search.

          Left Hand
        • John Rossignol
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 9, 2004
            psandusky@... wrote:

            >I'm starting out in archery (and, really, the SCA) in general,
            >and I'm having a doozy of a time getting a bow to start with.
            >Many people have suggested that I go to garage sales/flea
            >markets/yard sales to find a bow, but I'm somewhat skeptical.
            >It sounds like looking for a needle in a haystack. Are
            >traditional bows really that common at these sales?

            Milady, since you are just starting out in archery, I would advise that
            you avoid buying any used bow unless you have an archer who is
            experienced with traditional bows physically examine it for you first.
            There are too many defects and potential problems that you, as a
            beginner, would not spot. The same goes for any bow you might buy via
            eBay, whether it is new or used

            I also strongly agree with Carolus' advice that you go to a practice or
            target-archery event and try out bows different styles and strengths.
            All the SCA archers I have met will bend over backwards to help other
            archers, especially beginners. Different styles and brands of bow have
            very different feels to them, and there is no substitute for hands-on
            experience to help you find what is best for you.

            John
          • lindorie55
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 9, 2004
              As others have said, try out some loaner gear first. You will go
              through several bow weights in the first several months as your
              strength and skill grow almost exponentially. Eventually you will
              stabilize somewhat and then is the time that you can go looking for
              that first bow.

              Enlist the help of one of your more experienced archers to help you
              find something that you can afford and is appropriate for your skill
              level and pocketbook. It's always possible that one of your fellows
              has a bow that they have outgrown that will fit you just fine. That's
              what happened to me. I have purchased two bows, both from other
              archers within our SCA community. They, or members of their family
              had moved on to larger bows and theirs fit me just fine and at a
              price I could afford.

              Make sure that anyone you purchase from is someone you can trust and
              do make sure that you have learned a bit about equipment so that you
              know that what you are getting is sound. That will come in time,
              while you are using those loaner bows and asking questions and
              studying lists, literature, and websites.

              You will find that archery is a lot of fun...sometimes frustrating
              (kind of like dieting you will hit plateaus and even regress from
              time to time....all part of the process)and a great way to experience
              the SCA.

              Have fun!!! If it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing.

              Lady Linet Grey

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, <psandusky@y...> wrote:
              > I apologize in advance if any of these questions have already
              > been asked...
              >
              > I'm starting out in archery (and, really, the SCA) in general,
              > and I'm having a doozy of a time getting a bow to start with.
              > Many people have suggested that I go to garage sales/flea
              > markets/yard sales to find a bow, but I'm somewhat skeptical.
              > It sounds like looking for a needle in a haystack. Are
              > traditional bows really that common at these sales?
              >
              > I checked out one sporting goods store, only to find that the
              > only bows they had were either a) compound or b) traditional
              > but sized for ages 5-10. I'm going to try another shop that
              > advertises archery supplies.
              >
              > I've also been looking at the web, and in particular,
              > woodbows.com and the archery articles at the Florilegium got my
              > attention. Woodbows seems to have some excellent prices for
              > longbows, but there's an article on Florilegium on how to make
              > longbows (or longbows with slight recurves) from rattan.
              >
              > What I'm wondering is, which route might be the best (cheapest?
              > safest?) way to go? Would a longbow be better for the purposes
              > of first principles, or would a recurve work better? Buy or
              > build?
              >
              > I know I don't want to start out with period equipment simply
              > for the sake of being period. First I want to learn to shoot,
              > and any suggestions you could give would be greatly
              > appreciated.
              >
              > Paula Sandusky
              > Barony of St. Swithin's Bog
              > AEthelmearc
              >

              > ===============
              > Minsky and I require every graduate student to take an oath at
              > the grave of E.E. "Doc" Smith before he can receive a PhD in
              > AI.
              > -- John McCarthy, Computer Science Department, Stanford, CA
              > 94305

              > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              > www.yahoo.com
            • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 9, 2004
                Message: 2

                > Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 04:02:13 -0800 (PST)
                > From: <psandusky@...>
                >Subject: Yet another starting out...
                >
                >I apologize in advance if any of these questions have already
                >been asked...

                -snip-
                Paula,

                I don't know if you've attended your local practices yet, but if not, I
                would echo Carolus's comments.

                As to some of your other questions:
                Cheapest/Safest: Well, you also need to throw 'well mannered' into that
                equation as well, and know you can't have all three. You will always
                sacrifice an amount of one for the other two.
                I have purchased a less expensive bow, and that is just how it acts.
                Quite a few folk have purchased bows from woodbows.com, and have been
                quite happy. I purchased two, a 36lb and a 50lb. The 50lb broke in three
                pieces. Phil did replace the 50lb bow immediately, and I did send them
                all the photos and details of what happened. The replacement bow holds
                my device banner, and the 36lb bow is now a part of my local Barony's
                regalia. I'm sure I'll get differing opinions, but that's what makes
                this list great....it is my opinion that the bows were made with too
                much "D" section, and that the limbs were not wide enough. Red Oak, I
                don't think makes a good "D" section bow, but makes an okay flatbow. I
                now shoot a hickory-backed yew longbow, that I made in a bow class, from
                a very well known bowyer in the NorthWest.

                Longbow first, or recurve? Again, this can be a matter of taste. If you
                have never shot before, the longbow may be a bit tougher. I say that
                from the standpoint that a longbow is much more sensitive to having
                properly matched arrows for it, because of a physical issue called
                "archers paradox". A recurve, which most are "center-shot", is much
                more forgiving, and usually 'store-bought' arrows will work just find in
                it. After I built my longbow above, it took another 4-5 months to figure
                out what arrows it really like to shoot (spine, length and I'm about to
                increase the weight after 2 years). Now, the statements above will
                probably cause more questions, and that's a good thing, because you will
                get quite a few varied opinions from this list. There are many ways to
                do the same thing, and it will come out here.

                I started out with a recurve 4 years ago. That was my first bow. It cost
                179 brand new and still shoots great. 3 years ago, I started my trek
                back in time. As I acquire a new skill, whether it's shooting or
                building the equipment, I then take that skill and remove some modern
                aspects to it, and then come back up to a "given" level of skill. Then
                the next step and the next...

                One of my favorite things to say, when someone asks about my archery, is
                "that I started in archery 4 years ago, and I've been going back in time
                every since".

                Godwin
              • Sara
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 9, 2004
                  My motto :

                  "Start Slowly , then taper off."

                  - Sara -

                  > One of my favorite things to say, when someone asks about my
                  archery, is
                  > "that I started in archery 4 years ago, and I've been going back in
                  time
                  > every since".
                  >
                  > Godwin
                • John Rossignol
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 9, 2004
                    Sara wrote:

                    >My motto :
                    >
                    >"Start Slowly , then taper off."

                    LOL! I like it!

                    John
                  • excalibr@gatewest.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 9, 2004
                      Greetings,

                      There should be a copy of my article in the "Files" section of this group.
                      It is called "Beginning Archery in the S.C.A."

                      Please check it out, I hope that you will find it helpful!

                      (Blowing his own horn)

                      Baron Robin Kyrke
                      Kingdom of Northshield

                      http://mail2web.com/ .