Re: Archery record

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2004
      No - I have a worse record. A while back, I thought I'd take a shot
      at fletching my own arrows; first I would use cheap dowels, just to
      see how it would work. I made 6. They looked "just OK"...Anyway, they
      all went straight into the hillside covered with poison oak, and thre
      they remain to this day.

      - Sara -

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"
      <gusarimagic@c...> wrote:

      > I do not yet have a range set up at my new home but decided to
      > practice anyway. So I paced off 30 yards and dropped a small white
      > box. It was near dusk but quite visible. Only one of six shots
      hit
      > the box (small!) -- the others close. In addition to the hit I
      found
      > only one other arrow nestled in the grass. The others have
      vanished.

      > Is four lost out of six a record?
      >
      > kinjal
    • Culfre MacQuohollistar
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 9, 2004
        How about the most unusable arrows after a single flight?

        I ordered my first dozen wooden arrows from a non-SCA source. Picked
        them up on a Friday (a mere week before my first SCA shoot) and drove
        the half mile to the local range.

        I picked a lonely target butt and carefully shot all 12 arrows into
        it. Advancing to the butt, I pulled my first arrow so carefully out,
        keeping it straight, not damaging the fletching...

        only to find the point remained in the butt. As did the points on
        the remaining 11. Had to go back and get the points re-applied,
        which took all afternoon.

        Culfre the somtimes pointless Mac Quohollistar

        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"
        > <gusarimagic@c...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I do not yet have a range set up at my new home but decided to
        > > practice anyway. So I paced off 30 yards and dropped a small
        white
        > > box. It was near dusk but quite visible. Only one of six shots
        > hit
        > > the box (small!) -- the others close. In addition to the hit I
        > found
        > > only one other arrow nestled in the grass. The others have
        > vanished.
        > >
        > > Is four lost out of six a record?
        > >
        > > kinjal
      • Johann Friedrich
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 9, 2004
          This is the reason that you learn to tip your own arrows. I've been too
          lazy and cheap to do my own fletching (next on my list), but putting the
          tips on is easy enough for the beginner to do... and is a time saver over
          running to the archery shop every time you need new tips.

          Ken Bowley yahoo@...
          AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
        • saintelmo.1@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 9, 2004
            A friend of mine got a set of arrows from a SCA vendor and procedded to loose 7 tips and 8 knocks in the first 2 ends of shooting. We went to the fletcher to find out that he had other problems at the same time and had an old batch of glues.

            > How about the most unusable arrows after a single flight?
            >
            > I ordered my first dozen wooden arrows from a non-SCA source. Picked
            > them up on a Friday (a mere week before my first SCA shoot) and drove
            > the half mile to the local range.
            >
            > I picked a lonely target butt and carefully shot all 12 arrows into
            > it. Advancing to the butt, I pulled my first arrow so carefully out,
            > keeping it straight, not damaging the fletching...
            >
            > only to find the point remained in the butt. As did the points on
            > the remaining 11. Had to go back and get the points re-applied,
            > which took all afternoon.
            >
            > Culfre the somtimes pointless Mac Quohollistar
            >

            > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I do not yet have a range set up at my new home but decided to
            > > > practice anyway. So I paced off 30 yards and dropped a small
            > white
            > > > box. It was near dusk but quite visible. Only one of six shots
            > > hit
            > > > the box (small!) -- the others close. In addition to the hit I
            > > found
            > > > only one other arrow nestled in the grass. The others have
            > > vanished.
            > > >
            > > > Is four lost out of six a record?
            > > >
            > > > kinjal

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2004
              I am not sure. I will have to check the Darwin awards to see!

              James Cunningham

              > I do not yet have a range set up at my new home but decided to
              > practice anyway. So I paced off 30 yards and dropped a small white
              > box. It was near dusk but quite visible. Only one of six shots hit
              > the box (small!) -- the others close. In addition to the hit I found
              > only one other arrow nestled in the grass. The others have vanished.
              >
              > Is four lost out of six a record?
              >
              > kinjal

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • John Rossignol
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2004
                Yup. I lost 12 out of 18 points the first time I shot the latest batch
                of arrows I had someone make up for me. Now I glue them on with 24-hour
                epoxy, and I haven't lost a one. I have found that excelsior butts eat
                far more points than hay ones, especially in wet weather. Those rubber
                conveyor belts can be bad, too.

                John (who wonders why his non-archer friends laugh when he complains
                about his piles...)

                Culfre MacQuohollistar wrote:

                >How about the most unusable arrows after a single flight?
                >
                >I ordered my first dozen wooden arrows from a non-SCA source. Picked
                >them up on a Friday (a mere week before my first SCA shoot) and drove
                >the half mile to the local range.
                >
                >I picked a lonely target butt and carefully shot all 12 arrows into
                >it. Advancing to the butt, I pulled my first arrow so carefully out,
                >keeping it straight, not damaging the fletching...
                >
                >only to find the point remained in the butt. As did the points on
                >the remaining 11. Had to go back and get the points re-applied,
                >which took all afternoon.
                >
                >Culfre the somtimes pointless Mac Quohollistar

              • Lord Cain Saethydd
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 14, 2004
                  12 of 12 is my personal best.

                  Cain

                  (spirits played a part....)

                  <gusarimagic@c...> wrote:

                  > I do not yet have a range set up at my new home but decided to
                  > practice anyway. So I paced off 30 yards and dropped a small
                  white
                  > box. It was near dusk but quite visible. Only one of six shots
                  hit
                  > the box (small!) -- the others close. In addition to the hit I
                  found
                  > only one other arrow nestled in the grass. The others have
                  vanished.

                  > Is four lost out of six a record?
                  >
                  > kinjal
                • Lord Cain Saethydd
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 14, 2004
                    Got a bit miffed at another archer who insulted my ability. Brought
                    out 12 new arrows, all flew into the gold at the 20yd target, all
                    within 40 seconds. I recoverd 5 useable, the others had shattered.

                    Cain

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Culfre MacQuohollistar"
                    <culfre2003@y...> wrote:

                    > How about the most unusable arrows after a single flight?
                    >
                    > I ordered my first dozen wooden arrows from a non-SCA source.
                    Picked
                    > them up on a Friday (a mere week before my first SCA shoot) and
                    drove
                    > the half mile to the local range.
                    >
                    > I picked a lonely target butt and carefully shot all 12 arrows
                    into
                    > it. Advancing to the butt, I pulled my first arrow so carefully
                    out,
                    > keeping it straight, not damaging the fletching...
                    >
                    > only to find the point remained in the butt. As did the points on
                    > the remaining 11. Had to go back and get the points re-applied,
                    > which took all afternoon.
                    >
                    > Culfre the somtimes pointless Mac Quohollistar
                    >

                    > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"
                    > > <gusarimagic@c...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I do not yet have a range set up at my new home but decided to
                    > > > practice anyway. So I paced off 30 yards and dropped a small
                    > white
                    > > > box. It was near dusk but quite visible. Only one of six
                    shots
                    > > hit
                    > > > the box (small!) -- the others close. In addition to the hit I
                    > > found
                    > > > only one other arrow nestled in the grass. The others have
                    > > vanished.
                    > > >
                    > > > Is four lost out of six a record?
                    > > >
                    > > > kinjal
                  • Lord Cain Saethydd
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 14, 2004
                      Hate to say it, but sounds like Master Blackarrow, to whom I am
                      apprenticed. I had made 2 sets for myself using the same glue....
                      The both of us now use Easton Soft Melt for the tips, and are a bit
                      more careful on the nocks, as well.

                      Cain