Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Shoulder vs Hip Quiver

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 47 , Nov 2, 2004
      --- Carl West <carl.west@...> wrote:

      > One way:
      > http://h00050207be9f.ne.client2.attbi.com/ThruTheBow.HTML

      That is a really cool video. I am assuming that the camera was on a
      tripod, not being hand held.

      that is very close to the way I do it also. There is a slight difference
      in the hand though. I end holding the knock and pushing my fingers
      straight across the string. It is very hard to explain. If you hold the
      knock between you thumb and first finger, you can let the string slip
      between your thumb and the string. Then the string in enclosed in the
      circle made by your thumb, first finger and the knock and it acts like a
      funnel to line the string up with the nock.

      I started shooting with a hip quiver. Then I would thread the arrow
      between the bow and string to load it. I have lots of dings on the bow to
      show what happens when I try to do it quickly. Then I switched to the back
      quiver, and bring the arrow over the top like Carl in the video. I have
      not noticed any appreciable difference in the number of arrows I get off.
      Either 9 or 10. Though my son regularly gets off 11 or 12 with the same
      style and a hip quiver. He is just faster than me.

      The one thing I do like about the hip quiver is that it is much more
      documentable. I have seen lots of pictures of hip quivers, but only 2
      pictures of what might be back quivers.

      Nest

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • John Rossignol
      Message 47 of 47 , Nov 10, 2004
        Amen to that. A lot of people in this country gripe about the military
        budget, and put down soldiers and sailors, but one thing history has
        shown again and again is: when we need 'em, we *need* 'em, and then the
        complainers are sure glad to have them. My hat is off to the USMC, one
        of the finest bodies of fighting men the world has seen. Their defense
        of Wake Island ranks with that of Thermopylae.

        John