Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: longbow the book

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
      Greetings,
      I have worked with Osage Orange to make bows on a number of
      occassions. It is an excellent bow wood, BUT, it is not as ideally
      suited for making the D-sectioned longbow as other woods are. I was
      fortunate to get a very even stave from a bowyer that was suitable for
      making the 84# D-section longbow that I have, but I played it safe and
      backed it with rawhide. Osage has more of a tendency to lift on the back
      than yew does. It doesn't compress the same way as yew and will
      eventually fail in a shorter period of time than yew. These problems
      don't appear to be present when you are making a flat longbow out of
      Osage. The Native Americans prized this wood for bows, but their bows
      were usually wider and flatter.
      I've had good luck with the one that I've made so far, but I don't shoot
      with it that often. I've seen others fail and it's a shame. It's a bit
      more difficult to work than yew because the grain has a lot more
      character and you have to be willing to follow it. It makes a real
      "snakey" bow.
      I live in New York, so when I want to make a bow from yew or osage
      orange, I buy a seasoned bow stave (they're not all that expensive, but
      you gotta buy from a trustworthy source). There is none available
      locally in the NY area.
      -Geoffrei
    • Lord Cain Saethydd
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 14, 2004
        Was transplanted for use as hedgerows. Can be found along the
        southern edge, mostly from greatlakes, to the eastern shores. As I
        recall, my family said it did not grow well in Novis Scotia.
        (Implying that it did grow there, but not well) But then, what do
        shipwrights need with Osage?

        Cain

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Ragi of House brokenaxe