[SCA-Archery] Re: longbow the book

  • Lord Cain Saethydd
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
      It does grow in Canada. It grows in northern Wisconsin too. I
      cannot vouch for the useability as a bow wood when grown at those
      climates, though.

      Cain

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Ragi of House brokenaxe
      <ragiwarmbear@s...> wrote:
      > yeah and it also looks ugly, what a color and worse still ya cant
      get it in canada.

      > Ragi
      >

      > On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 08:55:35 -0800, you, with reckless abandon,
      wrote:

      > >It's also a good hardwood with a tight but very striking grain
      > >structure. In other words, it makes great knife handles :)
      > >
      > >Njall
      > >
      > >Guy Taylor wrote:
      > >
      > >>Archers usually know it as Osage Orange. Besides bows it's used
      for
      > >>fenceposts.
      > >>
      > >>Guy

    • Robert Lauderdale
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
        At 08:43 PM 10/31/04 -0500, you wrote:

        >As a wood worker and small time sawyer I have never heard of a bois d'arc
        >tree. What is it and what is the wood used for?
        >
        >James Cunningham
        >
        > > Linet...who lives near lots of bois d' arc trees.

        An interesting fact about this tree is that it was originally found only in
        the Red River Valley in Texas. It's dispersal throughout North America was
        apparently due to the fact that is was a favorite food for the mammoth.

        From a BBC website: "Certain plants in North America produce huge fruits
        which no modern American animals eat. Such plants do not therefore have a
        natural method of seed dispersal. One example is a tree called the Osage
        orange, which produces grapefruit-sized fruit. It is believed that large
        extinct animals such as the mammoths would have been the natural dispersal
        agents for this species. The fruit would have been eaten but the seeds
        would have passed harmlessly through the animal's gut to be ejected with
        the dung, allowing them to germinate and colonise new areas."

        The tree's range and numbers were on the wane until the early 19th century,
        when farmers discovered that a wall of these trees made an excellent
        livestock-proof border for fields. Such usage gave rise to the common
        nickname for Osage Orange--Hedge tree.

        Chidiock
      • Harry Bilings
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
          Due to the shorter growing season it should make better bow wood tighter grain.
          plachoya
          humble archer
          Ravens Fort Ansteorra

          It does grow in Canada. It grows in northern Wisconsin too. I
          cannot vouch for the useability as a bow wood when grown at those
          climates, though.

          Cain

        • Ragi of House brokenaxe
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
            Where on earth or more specifically does it grow in canada? except maybe the area around windsor.
            which is like way south of me, cause it sure dont grow up here except by accident.

            Ragi

            On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 02:19:22 -0000, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

            >--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Cain Saethydd"
            ><capt_cain@y...> wrote:
            >>

            >> It does grow in Canada. It grows in northern Wisconsin too. I
            >> cannot vouch for the useability as a bow wood when grown at those
            >> climates, though.
            >>
            >> Cain
            >Osage makes an excellent bow wood. Had a few but sold them. Very
            >dependable wood

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • krymsonknight2003
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004

            • felix47@juno.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                I'll tell you from experience not to use the hedge apples for targets -
                the stuff inside them is Really sticky and hard to get off arrows!
                Felix

                In November rains
                leaves drip, drop from fading trees.
                Winter approaches.
                JCW

                Now includes pop-up blocker!
              • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                  Greetings,
                  I have worked with Osage Orange to make bows on a number of
                  occassions. It is an excellent bow wood, BUT, it is not as ideally
                  suited for making the D-sectioned longbow as other woods are. I was
                  fortunate to get a very even stave from a bowyer that was suitable for
                  making the 84# D-section longbow that I have, but I played it safe and
                  backed it with rawhide. Osage has more of a tendency to lift on the back
                  than yew does. It doesn't compress the same way as yew and will
                  eventually fail in a shorter period of time than yew. These problems
                  don't appear to be present when you are making a flat longbow out of
                  Osage. The Native Americans prized this wood for bows, but their bows
                  were usually wider and flatter.
                  I've had good luck with the one that I've made so far, but I don't shoot
                  with it that often. I've seen others fail and it's a shame. It's a bit
                  more difficult to work than yew because the grain has a lot more
                  character and you have to be willing to follow it. It makes a real
                  "snakey" bow.
                  I live in New York, so when I want to make a bow from yew or osage
                  orange, I buy a seasoned bow stave (they're not all that expensive, but
                  you gotta buy from a trustworthy source). There is none available
                  locally in the NY area.
                  -Geoffrei
                • Lord Cain Saethydd
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 14, 2004
                    Was transplanted for use as hedgerows. Can be found along the
                    southern edge, mostly from greatlakes, to the eastern shores. As I
                    recall, my family said it did not grow well in Novis Scotia.
                    (Implying that it did grow there, but not well) But then, what do
                    shipwrights need with Osage?