Re: [SCA-Archery] Shoulder vs Hip Quiver

  • Scott Jaqua
    Message 1 of 47 , Nov 1, 2004
      What you ask is one of those "swear by "/"swear at" sort of things. It's
      more personal preference then anything. However, even as a user of a hip
      quiver I can say that a properly made shoulder quiver has a number of
      advantages for a traditional archer. The only problem is that so few are
      made correctly.

      First women and men are different. In general women have a greater range
      of movement in the shoulder area. So this should result in an advantage
      for you. However to get the most out a shoulder quiver you need to
      position it correctly. The best position will place the nocks of your
      arrows just below the crown of your skull just to the side of your head
      (the side away from your bow hand). And the shorter a draw required to
      clear the quiver, the better (so that means a short quiver in relation
      to the arrow length).

      Njall

      Sara wrote:

      >Hi everyone...
      >I just made a gorgeous quiver (from the sleeve of an old
      >leather/sheepskin jacket). It's really pretty.
      >I have a question...
      >Do any of you find it advantageous at all to have a shoulder quiver
      >vs a hip quiver..particularly when it comes to speed rounds ?
      >(I'm asking because I'm going to finish this quiver as one or the
      >other and I'd like to put the straps on in the right place.)
      >I'm used to using only a hip quiver, but if I can get an extra arrow
      >off in a speed round with a shoulder quiver, I'm willing to give it a
      >try....
      >Thanks.
      >- Sara -

    • John Rossignol
      Message 47 of 47 , Nov 10, 2004
        Amen to that. A lot of people in this country gripe about the military
        budget, and put down soldiers and sailors, but one thing history has
        shown again and again is: when we need 'em, we *need* 'em, and then the
        complainers are sure glad to have them. My hat is off to the USMC, one
        of the finest bodies of fighting men the world has seen. Their defense
        of Wake Island ranks with that of Thermopylae.

        John