Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: longbow the book

  • Scott Jaqua
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
      Here's a shot of the wood showing both the heart wood and sap wood. It's
      also a place in Arizona you can order it from. I know several folks that
      carve a turn the heart wood. When finished up it's very pretty, unless
      of course you don't like the color.

      http://yumahardwoods.homestead.com/OSAGEorange.html

      Njall

      Ragi of House brokenaxe wrote:

      >yeah and it also looks ugly, what a color and worse still ya cant get it in canada.
      >
      >Ragi
      >

      >> <>It's also a good hardwood with a tight but very striking grain
      >> structure. In other words, it makes great knife handles :)
      >>
      >> Njall
      >>
      >> Archers usually know it as Osage Orange. Besides bows it's used for
      >> fenceposts.
      >>
      >> Guy
      >>

      >> As a wood worker and small time sawyer I have never heard of a bois d'arc
      >> tree. What is it and what is the wood used for?
      >>
      >> James Cunningham

    • Lord Cain Saethydd
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
        ahhh! What we hill billies from the boondocks of Wisconsin
        called 'Mock-Orange Trees'! (in years past... MANY years past)

        Cain

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Guy Taylor" <greytaylor@a...>

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
          It does grow in Canada. It grows in northern Wisconsin too. I
          cannot vouch for the useability as a bow wood when grown at those
          climates, though.

          Cain

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Ragi of House brokenaxe
          <ragiwarmbear@s...> wrote:
          > yeah and it also looks ugly, what a color and worse still ya cant
          get it in canada.

          > Ragi
          >

          > On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 08:55:35 -0800, you, with reckless abandon,
          wrote:

          > >It's also a good hardwood with a tight but very striking grain
          > >structure. In other words, it makes great knife handles :)
          > >
          > >Njall
          > >
          > >Guy Taylor wrote:
          > >
          > >>Archers usually know it as Osage Orange. Besides bows it's used
          for
          > >>fenceposts.
          > >>
          > >>Guy

        • Robert Lauderdale
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
            At 08:43 PM 10/31/04 -0500, you wrote:

            >As a wood worker and small time sawyer I have never heard of a bois d'arc
            >tree. What is it and what is the wood used for?
            >
            >James Cunningham
            >
            > > Linet...who lives near lots of bois d' arc trees.

            An interesting fact about this tree is that it was originally found only in
            the Red River Valley in Texas. It's dispersal throughout North America was
            apparently due to the fact that is was a favorite food for the mammoth.

            From a BBC website: "Certain plants in North America produce huge fruits
            which no modern American animals eat. Such plants do not therefore have a
            natural method of seed dispersal. One example is a tree called the Osage
            orange, which produces grapefruit-sized fruit. It is believed that large
            extinct animals such as the mammoths would have been the natural dispersal
            agents for this species. The fruit would have been eaten but the seeds
            would have passed harmlessly through the animal's gut to be ejected with
            the dung, allowing them to germinate and colonise new areas."

            The tree's range and numbers were on the wane until the early 19th century,
            when farmers discovered that a wall of these trees made an excellent
            livestock-proof border for fields. Such usage gave rise to the common
            nickname for Osage Orange--Hedge tree.

            Chidiock
          • Harry Bilings
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
              Due to the shorter growing season it should make better bow wood tighter grain.
              plachoya
              humble archer
              Ravens Fort Ansteorra

              It does grow in Canada. It grows in northern Wisconsin too. I
              cannot vouch for the useability as a bow wood when grown at those
              climates, though.

              Cain

            • Ragi of House brokenaxe
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                Where on earth or more specifically does it grow in canada? except maybe the area around windsor.
                which is like way south of me, cause it sure dont grow up here except by accident.

                Ragi

                On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 02:19:22 -0000, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

                >--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Cain Saethydd"
                ><capt_cain@y...> wrote:
                >>

                >> It does grow in Canada. It grows in northern Wisconsin too. I
                >> cannot vouch for the useability as a bow wood when grown at those
                >> climates, though.
                >>
                >> Cain
                >Osage makes an excellent bow wood. Had a few but sold them. Very
                >dependable wood

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • krymsonknight2003
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004

                • felix47@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                    I'll tell you from experience not to use the hedge apples for targets -
                    the stuff inside them is Really sticky and hard to get off arrows!
                    Felix

                    In November rains
                    leaves drip, drop from fading trees.
                    Winter approaches.
                    JCW

                    Now includes pop-up blocker!
                  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                      Greetings,
                      I have worked with Osage Orange to make bows on a number of
                      occassions. It is an excellent bow wood, BUT, it is not as ideally
                      suited for making the D-sectioned longbow as other woods are. I was
                      fortunate to get a very even stave from a bowyer that was suitable for
                      making the 84# D-section longbow that I have, but I played it safe and
                      backed it with rawhide. Osage has more of a tendency to lift on the back
                      than yew does. It doesn't compress the same way as yew and will
                      eventually fail in a shorter period of time than yew. These problems
                      don't appear to be present when you are making a flat longbow out of
                      Osage. The Native Americans prized this wood for bows, but their bows
                      were usually wider and flatter.
                      I've had good luck with the one that I've made so far, but I don't shoot
                      with it that often. I've seen others fail and it's a shame. It's a bit
                      more difficult to work than yew because the grain has a lot more
                      character and you have to be willing to follow it. It makes a real
                      "snakey" bow.
                      I live in New York, so when I want to make a bow from yew or osage
                      orange, I buy a seasoned bow stave (they're not all that expensive, but
                      you gotta buy from a trustworthy source). There is none available
                      locally in the NY area.
                      -Geoffrei
                    • Lord Cain Saethydd
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 14, 2004
                        Was transplanted for use as hedgerows. Can be found along the
                        southern edge, mostly from greatlakes, to the eastern shores. As I
                        recall, my family said it did not grow well in Novis Scotia.
                        (Implying that it did grow there, but not well) But then, what do
                        shipwrights need with Osage?