Re: longbow the book

  • Daniel W Stratton
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
      > From: "Lord Cain Saethydd" <capt_cain@...>
      > Subject: Re: Looking for a book
      > I will look at our local SCA book vendor, during vendor night this
      > coming month, If he shows up. He had 3 copies last I checked. Much
      > less than what you would expect.
      > Cain

      FWIW, I just got a flyer in the mail from Bois d'ark press,
      www.boisdarkpress.com - they list the new revised edition of Longbow at
      19.95 US
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
      Midrealm Forester, OP
      "No matter where you go, there - you'll want your bow"
    • lindorie55
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004

        > FWIW, I just got a flyer in the mail from Bois d'ark press,
        > www.boisdarkpress.com - they list the new revised edition of
        Longbow at
        > 19.95 US
        > Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
        > Midrealm Forester, OP
        > "No matter where you go, there - you'll want your bow"

        make that www.boisdarcpress.com

        the arc is as in arch, not ark as in Noah

        Linet...who lives near lots of bois d' arc trees.
      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
          As a wood worker and small time sawyer I have never heard of a bois d'arc
          tree. What is it and what is the wood used for?

          James Cunningham

          > Linet...who lives near lots of bois d' arc trees.
        • Guy Taylor
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
            Archers usually know it as Osage Orange. Besides bows it's used for
            fenceposts.

            Guy

            As a wood worker and small time sawyer I have never heard of a bois d'arc
            tree. What is it and what is the wood used for?

            James Cunningham

            > Linet...who lives near lots of bois d' arc trees.
          • Talmon Parker
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
              And after it's been in the ground for a few years, you cain't drive a nail
              into it.

              Talmon

              DER BARON

              >From: "Guy Taylor" <greytaylor@...>
              >To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: longbow the book
              >Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:35:35 -0800
              >

              >Archers usually know it as Osage Orange. Besides bows it's used for
              >fenceposts.
              >
              >Guy

            • Ragi of House brokenaxe
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                yeah and it also looks ugly, what a color and worse still ya cant get it in canada.

                Ragi

                On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 08:55:35 -0800, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

                >It's also a good hardwood with a tight but very striking grain
                >structure. In other words, it makes great knife handles :)
                >
                >Njall
                >
                >Guy Taylor wrote:
                >
                >>Archers usually know it as Osage Orange. Besides bows it's used for
                >>fenceposts.
                >>
                >>Guy

              • Scott Jaqua
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                    Here's a shot of the wood showing both the heart wood and sap wood. It's
                    also a place in Arizona you can order it from. I know several folks that
                    carve a turn the heart wood. When finished up it's very pretty, unless
                    of course you don't like the color.

                    http://yumahardwoods.homestead.com/OSAGEorange.html

                    Njall

                    Ragi of House brokenaxe wrote:

                    >yeah and it also looks ugly, what a color and worse still ya cant get it in canada.
                    >
                    >Ragi
                    >

                    >> <>It's also a good hardwood with a tight but very striking grain
                    >> structure. In other words, it makes great knife handles :)
                    >>
                    >> Njall
                    >>
                    >> Archers usually know it as Osage Orange. Besides bows it's used for
                    >> fenceposts.
                    >>
                    >> Guy
                    >>

                    >> As a wood worker and small time sawyer I have never heard of a bois d'arc
                    >> tree. What is it and what is the wood used for?
                    >>
                    >> James Cunningham

                  • Lord Cain Saethydd
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                      ahhh! What we hill billies from the boondocks of Wisconsin
                      called 'Mock-Orange Trees'! (in years past... MANY years past)

                      Cain

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Guy Taylor" <greytaylor@a...>

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                        It does grow in Canada. It grows in northern Wisconsin too. I
                        cannot vouch for the useability as a bow wood when grown at those
                        climates, though.

                        Cain

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Ragi of House brokenaxe
                        <ragiwarmbear@s...> wrote:
                        > yeah and it also looks ugly, what a color and worse still ya cant
                        get it in canada.

                        > Ragi
                        >

                        > On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 08:55:35 -0800, you, with reckless abandon,
                        wrote:

                        > >It's also a good hardwood with a tight but very striking grain
                        > >structure. In other words, it makes great knife handles :)
                        > >
                        > >Njall
                        > >
                        > >Guy Taylor wrote:
                        > >
                        > >>Archers usually know it as Osage Orange. Besides bows it's used
                        for
                        > >>fenceposts.
                        > >>
                        > >>Guy

                      • Robert Lauderdale
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                          At 08:43 PM 10/31/04 -0500, you wrote:

                          >As a wood worker and small time sawyer I have never heard of a bois d'arc
                          >tree. What is it and what is the wood used for?
                          >
                          >James Cunningham
                          >
                          > > Linet...who lives near lots of bois d' arc trees.

                          An interesting fact about this tree is that it was originally found only in
                          the Red River Valley in Texas. It's dispersal throughout North America was
                          apparently due to the fact that is was a favorite food for the mammoth.

                          From a BBC website: "Certain plants in North America produce huge fruits
                          which no modern American animals eat. Such plants do not therefore have a
                          natural method of seed dispersal. One example is a tree called the Osage
                          orange, which produces grapefruit-sized fruit. It is believed that large
                          extinct animals such as the mammoths would have been the natural dispersal
                          agents for this species. The fruit would have been eaten but the seeds
                          would have passed harmlessly through the animal's gut to be ejected with
                          the dung, allowing them to germinate and colonise new areas."

                          The tree's range and numbers were on the wane until the early 19th century,
                          when farmers discovered that a wall of these trees made an excellent
                          livestock-proof border for fields. Such usage gave rise to the common
                          nickname for Osage Orange--Hedge tree.

                          Chidiock
                        • Harry Bilings
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                            Due to the shorter growing season it should make better bow wood tighter grain.
                            plachoya
                            humble archer
                            Ravens Fort Ansteorra

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                              Where on earth or more specifically does it grow in canada? except maybe the area around windsor.
                              which is like way south of me, cause it sure dont grow up here except by accident.

                              Ragi

                              On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 02:19:22 -0000, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

                              >--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Cain Saethydd"
                              ><capt_cain@y...> wrote:
                              >>

                              >> It does grow in Canada. It grows in northern Wisconsin too. I
                              >> cannot vouch for the useability as a bow wood when grown at those
                              >> climates, though.
                              >>
                              >> Cain
                              >Osage makes an excellent bow wood. Had a few but sold them. Very
                              >dependable wood

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • krymsonknight2003
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004

                              • felix47@juno.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                                  I'll tell you from experience not to use the hedge apples for targets -
                                  the stuff inside them is Really sticky and hard to get off arrows!
                                  Felix

                                  In November rains
                                  leaves drip, drop from fading trees.
                                  Winter approaches.
                                  JCW

                                  Now includes pop-up blocker!
                                • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                                    Greetings,
                                    I have worked with Osage Orange to make bows on a number of
                                    occassions. It is an excellent bow wood, BUT, it is not as ideally
                                    suited for making the D-sectioned longbow as other woods are. I was
                                    fortunate to get a very even stave from a bowyer that was suitable for
                                    making the 84# D-section longbow that I have, but I played it safe and
                                    backed it with rawhide. Osage has more of a tendency to lift on the back
                                    than yew does. It doesn't compress the same way as yew and will
                                    eventually fail in a shorter period of time than yew. These problems
                                    don't appear to be present when you are making a flat longbow out of
                                    Osage. The Native Americans prized this wood for bows, but their bows
                                    were usually wider and flatter.
                                    I've had good luck with the one that I've made so far, but I don't shoot
                                    with it that often. I've seen others fail and it's a shame. It's a bit
                                    more difficult to work than yew because the grain has a lot more
                                    character and you have to be willing to follow it. It makes a real
                                    "snakey" bow.
                                    I live in New York, so when I want to make a bow from yew or osage
                                    orange, I buy a seasoned bow stave (they're not all that expensive, but
                                    you gotta buy from a trustworthy source). There is none available
                                    locally in the NY area.
                                    -Geoffrei
                                  • Lord Cain Saethydd
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 14, 2004
                                      Was transplanted for use as hedgerows. Can be found along the
                                      southern edge, mostly from greatlakes, to the eastern shores. As I
                                      recall, my family said it did not grow well in Novis Scotia.
                                      (Implying that it did grow there, but not well) But then, what do
                                      shipwrights need with Osage?