Need a crossbow string

  • owen_godwinson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2004
      I have a friend who is making a crossbow and he needs a string.
      Does anyone have any suggestions as to where one could
      obtain a string about 22" in length??? The Crossbow is about
      35-40 lb draw. Or does anyone make strings? He said that he
      found someone who is willing to do it for $20 plus shipping but
      is hoping to find something cheaper.
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 15, 2004
        Make it just like a bow string...well continous loop bow string. For a
        crossbow you need to hit the correct length + - 1/4 inch so measure several
        times make a quick knoted string to check it. 12-20 strands of B50 would be
        plenty. Any local archery shop that makes strings for bows should be able
        to make one for about $15. I will look in my box and see if I have a too
        short string. Most of mine are for Gladius prods at 26 3/4 inches.

        James Cunningham

        > I have a friend who is making a crossbow and he needs a string.
        > Does anyone have any suggestions as to where one could
        > obtain a string about 22" in length??? The Crossbow is about
        > 35-40 lb draw. Or does anyone make strings? He said that he
        > found someone who is willing to do it for $20 plus shipping but
        > is hoping to find something cheaper.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 15, 2004
          We sell strings for $10 each and that includes shipping. So $20 seems a
          bit steep. Our strings though are all 27 inches long. My suggestion is,
          the gentleman in question should simply makes his own string. On a bow
          drawing no more then 40 pounds, four strands of Dacron B50 would do the job
          nicely. Of course he might want to over engineer it a bit and go with six
          strands.

          Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

          > At 04:26 PM 10/15/2004, you wrote:

          >I have a friend who is making a crossbow and he needs a string.
          >Does anyone have any suggestions as to where one could
          >obtain a string about 22" in length??? The Crossbow is about
          >35-40 lb draw. Or does anyone make strings? He said that he
          >found someone who is willing to do it for $20 plus shipping but
          >is hoping to find something cheaper.

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Allan B Zdarsky
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 15, 2004
            For a bow that light, you might try to find a compound bowstring, I use
            one on my combat crossbow. Check out the various online archery shops.
            Aleksei Zateev
            An Tir
            On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:26:45 -0000 "owen_godwinson"
            <arthur_p_wiggle@...> writes:

            > I have a friend who is making a crossbow and he needs a string.
            > Does anyone have any suggestions as to where one could
            > obtain a string about 22" in length??? The Crossbow is about
            > 35-40 lb draw. Or does anyone make strings? He said that he
            > found someone who is willing to do it for $20 plus shipping but
            > is hoping to find something cheaper.
          • ronan morton
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 16, 2004
              I could make you one for about $10.00 if that would help. I just need you
              to verify the exact length, what size is that ends of the prod, and to tell
              me what string count you want the string to have. If this is what you want,
              send me your address and I'll make one and send it your way. you can pay me
              if its what you want or send it back if not.
              Ronan MacMorton
              Meredian Shire of Nant-Y-Derwyddon