Re: [SCA-Archery] homeade target butts

  • Talmon Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2004
      Greetings from Baron Talmon... I have put this on the net several times,
      but I'll try once again.
      In the shire of Gates Edge in ansteorra, We have devised a target butt that
      stops just about anything. It is made by using 3/4 inch electric conduit.
      Take a 10 foot joint and cut it at 45 degrees at 6 1/2 feet. Put them
      together at a 90 degrees and weld them solid. Make two of these. Then get
      one straight connector to tie them together on the short side. This gives
      you a U shape frame that will break down to 2 "L" shape pieces that will fit
      in your pick-up truck. Next get 2 pieces of 1/2 inch re-bar steel about 4
      feet long. Drive the re-bar into the ground about 1 foot deep and stand the
      frame up on them. Guy the frame at both upper corners with your standard
      tent stakes .use the 1/4th inch yellow poly rope {helps keep people from
      triping over them.}
      After you get this far,then go to your local carpet store and ask for
      their used carpet. Get pieces about 6 feet by 13 feet.They are throwing it
      away anyway. One piece of carpet draped over the frame will stop 45# bows
      at 20 yards. If you are getting blow thru's from the stronger bows then put
      another layer of carpet on the frames. Place a small clamp on one side to
      keep the carpet from sliding. Mount your target on coragated cardboard with
      elmers white glue. Mount the targets to the carpet. The carpet will last for
      several months if not years.If you are punching out the center ,then move
      the target over abot a foot or so, or just go visit your carpet store again.
      Try to get short shag carpet that doesn't have the rubber or non skid
      backing on it. The rubber melts and gets on the shafts of the arrows. You
      really should make one of these for each range you shoot at they also travel
      well, since they take up very little room in your packing. Roll the re-bar
      up inside the carpet and lay the pipes on the floor.
      Hope this gives you as much service as it has us.

      Yours in service
      Talmon Wilbanks

      DER BARON