Re: [SCA-Archery] Introduction

  • Susan Gideon
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
      Greetings,
      Welcome to the list, it's somewhat quite right now but there are some
      interesting discussions.
      Elayne Macduncan
      Baroness of the Eldern Hills

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
        Hi Rob,

        You came to the right place, especially if you also
        like dressing up in "funny" clothes. Actually I really
        enjoy the outfits, wearing them and seeing others in
        them. I'm in Georgia, recently moved from Michigan,
        where we had some really wonderful and incredibly
        knowledgeable archers. I shot my recurve for the first
        time at an event, with borrowed arrows, and got the
        most wonderful private lesson from Nigel. He was very
        patient, and knew so much it was mind boggling. He
        even let me shoot his crossbow, which greatly
        impressed my little boys. Mom is definitely dangerous,
        grin. Those things are very powerful.

        You obviously are way ahead of me, since I'm extremely
        new to all this, but I'm sure you'll also find folks
        who can teach you a lot. Perhaps you can teach us some
        things as well!

        Caileigh

        =====
        Caileigh's Castils
        Artizan Soaps
        It's good clean fun!

        http://vote.yahoo.com
      • Lord Caedmon Wilson
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
          Greetings, Rob. Welcome to the SCA Archery list.

          Have you ever considered shooting a medieval crossbow?

          *grin*

          --
          Lord Caedmon Wilson

          Prowess. Courage. Loyalty. Generosity. Faithful. Courteous. Franchise.
        • spnknffork
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 20 10:05 AM
            Greetings all,

            I have just joined the group in hopes of gaining more knowledge in
            combat and target archery. Both target and combat archery are making a
            long delayed comeback in my Barony and many of us are eager to findout
            more. I look forward to many great discussions and stories on archery
            and archery related topics.

            Thank you,

            Lady Godaswintha cognomento Gonza

            Barony of Bjornsborg

            Kingdom of Ansteorra
          • Gary Henderson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29 3:14 AM
              Greetings to the fine folk of this list. I just discovered this excellent resource and thought I should briefly introduce myself. I am Lord Gwyn CuCymry from the Shire of Silfren Mere ( Rochester MN) in the Kingdom of Northshield. I have been shooting for about the last 4 years mostly with a recurve but I am looking into studying horsebows and their shooting teqnique. Perhaps someone here can help me with a small problem I am having I am in the middle of constructing an late period arrow from scratch but I am having problems with finding documentation. Any help would be grateful
              Thanks
              Gwyn

            • Herr Conrad von Zollern
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 31 3:20 PM
                Greetings Gwyn,

                Until the discovery of the Mary Rose in the late 1970s little
                physical evidence of medieval arrow shafts was known. Although some
                bows were preserved in various armories their ammunition was largely
                ignored. Added to this is that an arrow is mostly biodegradable and
                flammable: the shaft and fletching tend not to survive.

                Many arrow points have been recovered in various condition, but I am
                only aware of two medieval arrow shafts to have survived (with the
                exception of those found on the Mary Rose, which while they
                are "period" I consider them to be 'post-Medieval').

                Period arrows really aren't all that common...

                Two sources:

                The Chapter House Arrow
                The Muniment Room and Library
                Westminster Abbey
                London, SW1P 3PA

                The Mary Rose Arrow shafts
                The Armouries
                H.M. Tower of London
                EC3

                Period books on archery aren't all that common either...

                Two primary sources are:

                "The Westminster Abbey Arrow"

                and

                Toxophilus, by Robert Aschram.

                Unless you plan on traveling to Great Britain, the report done on the
                Westminster Abbey Arrow is probably as good as you are going to get,
                and it was uploaded into the files section of the group a few years
                ago (and it is still there, I just checked)...

                Toxophilus is still in print is some versions, mostly reprinted from
                the Reverend Dr. Gile's edition of Roger Ascham's complete works...
                It is full of documentation about what woods were preferred, types of
                feathers used for fletching, and all sorts of other very useful
                information...

                Period art depicting archery isn't uncommon, but what is depicted
                frequently is not even possible, hense it is much less than
                even 'probably' accurate...

                So, you have very few good primary sources, many secondary sources,
                and a whole bunch of tertiary (or worse) sources...

                Be warned, there are also a whole bunch of people out there who are
                self-proclaimed 'experts' that will tell you all sorts of things...

                Listen politely, then ask them nicely to document their statements...

                Ich dien,

                Herr Conrad von Zollern

                <-----{{{ <-----{{{ <-----{{{ <-----{{{

                "Gary Henderson" <cucymry@w...> wrote:
                > Greetings to the fine folk of this list. I just discovered this
                excellent resource and thought I should briefly introduce myself. I
                am Lord Gwyn CuCymry from the Shire of Silfren Mere ( Rochester MN)
                in the Kingdom of Northshield. I have been shooting for about the
                last 4 years mostly with a recurve but I am looking into studying
                horsebows and their shooting teqnique. Perhaps someone here can help
                me with a small problem I am having I am in the middle of
                constructing an late period arrow from scratch but I am having
                problems with finding documentation. Any help would be grateful
                > Thanks
                > Gwyn
              • Silwyth Ulfvaldr
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 7 9:14 PM
                  Ves Heil,
                  My name is Silywth Ulfvaldr and I live in the Kingdom of Gleann
                  Abhann. I currently reside in the Shire of Dragoun's Weal but soon
                  shall move to Iron ox. By way of introductions I am lacking a thought
                  of what to put, so just feel free to ask what you will of me.