Re: [SCA-Archery] bolt fletchings

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 21, 2004
      Gentlemen,

      We have a nice set of bolts here at the Cleveland Museum Of Art. They have
      leather fletching. I made a similar set with stiffened leather and they
      flew just fine. Many medieval bolts though were unfletched. I actually
      did quite a bit of experimentation a few years ago and discovered that
      unfletched bolts are nearly as accurate as bolts with two feather
      fletches. The feathered bolts used in the comparison were of high quality
      and made by Li Kung Lo. Bolts recoveded from sieges and battle fields
      seemed to be unfletched. This makes sense.

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)