Re: Re: archery peers

  • Bob & Nancy Upson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27 9:01 PM
      > Macsen writes....
      >
      > >I could as easily note that many SCA peers practice archery yet in almost
      > >every case that isn't why they are peers.
      >
      > I believe that this is the very point that proponents of a new peerage are
      > trying to make.

      If the so-called "4th Peerage" proponents have a point, I can assure
      you it has escaped me. With anyluck, their proposal will die a
      quiet death in obscurity.

      > (This is not to say that skill at the bow or rapier or whatever should be
      > the ONLY factor. As with knighthood, certainly the need for dedication,
      > bearing, chivalry and honor would be a given. As well as a well rounded SCA
      > experience. Some heavy fighters have expressed that these warrior arts
      > should be included in the Laurel. But I would ask them to ask of
      > themselves, is not heavy fighting also a wondrous art? Then, I would ask

      Of course it is. But it's also an SCA artifact with a special place in
      SCA "government." In fact, skill with rattan weapons is a perfectly
      valid basis for a Laure just like all the other SCA arts and skills.
      That includes archery, fencing, coursing, equestrian, and whatever
      else is lumped into the redundant "4th Peerage" proposal this week.

      Macsen