Newbie needs help

  • Muireann O'Reddan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
      I am just getting started into the whole Archery thing...don't even know the
      difference between Royal and IKAC. What I do know is that I need lots of
      practice - and I have the property for it. So we are attempting to set up a
      target for me, but don't know the proper dimensions. Can someone tell me:

      Where can I find the correct targets for SCA use? I've seen them (and shot
      at them) at events, but am just not sure where to get them.

      Assuming that I make the backstop out of hay bales and attach the target to
      them, how far should the bottom of the target be from the ground?

      How far should I be from the target? Are there varying distances that I
      should practice at?

      Is there an archery practice (with a very patient person who likes to teach)
      anywhere in the vicinity of Aberdeen, WA?

      All I know so far is that I really enjoy this, it's very calming and
      peaceful and I just love to do it. Now, I just have to learn how.....

      I've downloaded the An Tir Book of Target, but wasn't able to find that
      information in it.

      Thanks for the help! I'll try not to pester everyone too much.

      Muireann O'Reddan
      (mka Carrie Hubbard)
    • Bruce R. Gordon
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
        Greetings
        Replies imbedded in text...

        > I am just getting started into the whole Archery thing...don't even
        know the
        > difference between Royal and IKAC. What I do know is that I need
        lots of
        > practice - and I have the property for it. So we are attempting to
        set up a
        > target for me, but don't know the proper dimensions. Can someone
        tell me:

        > Where can I find the correct targets for SCA use? I've seen them
        (and shot
        > at them) at events, but am just not sure where to get them.

        There are no "correct" targets as such, just about everything is a
        fair target for one sort or shoot or another. Still, if you mean the
        standardized five-color FITA ring targets, they can be purchased by the
        ream at any archery supply store, or ordered online - use a search
        engine like Google to search for "archery equipment" or archery
        supplies" or some such. Note that FITA's come in different sizes, 40
        and 60 cm.

        > Assuming that I make the backstop out of hay bales and attach the
        target to
        > them, how far should the bottom of the target be from the ground?

        Whatever is convenient for your style of shooting. A recurve
        shooter, a longbowman, and a crossbowman might each have slightly
        different answers to that question. There is no standard, but certainly
        if you place them very low or very high that will affect your
        perception and training skillset. Best recommendation would be
        something like: center the target at about the same elevation as your
        arrow is when you place yourself in position and draw the bow.

        > How far should I be from the target? Are there varying distances
        that I
        > should practice at?

        SCA shoots cover anything from 5 yards to 150 yards, but very
        typical and most common is 20, 30, and 40 yard distances. Be sure to
        set up some oddball distances to practice at as well though, since you
        will undoubtably meet with unknown distance at nonstandard intervals in
        various novelty shhots and roving ranges.

        > Is there an archery practice (with a very patient person who likes to
        teach)
        > anywhere in the vicinity of Aberdeen, WA?

        Can't help you with this one; I love to teach, but I live in more
        or less the other side of the country...

        Cordially;
        Nigel FitzMaurice
        "Do these colors match?"
        "Is this too much jewelry?"
        "Is that my drink?"

      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2004
          See inserts
          Carolus

          On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:30:09 -0700 "Muireann O'Reddan"
          <muireann@...> writes:

          > I am just getting started into the whole Archery thing...don't even
          > know the
          > difference between Royal and IKAC. What I do know is that I need
          > lots of
          > practice - and I have the property for it. So we are attempting to
          > set up a
          > target for me, but don't know the proper dimensions. Can someone
          > tell me:
          >
          > Where can I find the correct targets for SCA use? I've seen them
          > (and shot
          > at them) at events, but am just not sure where to get them.

          The most common target used is the 60cm FITA face (they also come in
          40cm, 80cm, and 122cm). These are available from all archery shops or
          on-line. Other targets are also used in SCA shooting depending on local
          rules. When starting out I recommend putting a circle about 1.5" in
          diameter in the middle of a paper plate and using that to learn shooting
          style. Shooting at a scoring target too soon can cause too much emphasis
          on score and can result in developing "target panic".

          > Assuming that I make the backstop out of hay bales and attach the
          > target to
          > them, how far should the bottom of the target be from the ground?

          The SCA has no standard for target placement. International competition
          uses a distance of about 51" from ground level to the center of the
          target. I find this to be a good position and a reasonable baseline to
          work from.

          > How far should I be from the target? Are there varying distances
          > that I
          > should practice at?

          Most SCA shooting is done at 20, 30, and 40 yds. However, you should get
          comfortable shooting at any range you might encounter. In the last 2
          weeks we have had shoots ranging from 8 to 50 yds.

          > Is there an archery practice (with a very patient person who likes
          > to teach)
          > anywhere in the vicinity of Aberdeen, WA?

          Contact your kingdom archer officer for a referral to a local range
          marshal

          > All I know so far is that I really enjoy this, it's very calming
          > and
          > peaceful and I just love to do it. Now, I just have to learn
          > how.....
          >
          > I've downloaded the An Tir Book of Target, but wasn't able to find
          > that
          > information in it.
          >
          > Thanks for the help! I'll try not to pester everyone too much.
          >
          > Muireann O'Reddan
          > (mka Carrie Hubbard)

          Get your name as your email address.
        • s.l.rees@ieee.org
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2004
            Muireann,
            Try looking at the Royal Archer's website. It should list an officer near
            you. http://www.zateev.net/ontarget/

            The Central region branch listing from the Kingdom website should help you
            find the branch name for where you live. Sorry, I don't know where all
            the counties in WA are.
            http://www.antir.sca.org/Map/branches.php?reg=Central

            Most of us were in Port Gamble to watch the Protector & Crown tourneys.
            Sorry we missed you. I forwarded your note to one of the AnTir archery
            lists to see if we can find someone close to you.

            Shadhra
            Madrone